Are you an experienced and knowledgeable accounting professional looking for an opportunity to contribute to a mission addressing affordable housing and homelessness in our community? Are you familiar with analyzing financial data of residential properties? Do you have experience with budgets and audits? If so, then you might be a good fit for our Staff Accountant position!
At the Vancouver Housing Authority (VHA) we work closely with local governments and other community partners throughout Clark County to address issues of affordable housing and homelessness and help families break the cycle of poverty. We provide affordable housing and housing assistance to low-income residents in Clark County. The VHA is seeking a Staff Accountant to oversee financial reporting and compliance of VHA’s affordable housing portfolio. The Staff Accountant provides accurate and reliable financial information and analysis to internal and external users according to industry standards and VHA requirements.
Your skills and experience will support our mission as you provide oversight of the VHA Housing Portfolio Financial Reporting function that includes:
- Coordinating monthly financial data transfers from management companies’ to VHA accounting system.
- Reviewing monthly management company reports.
- Evaluating monthly property financial reports and providing budget variance analysis.
- Monitoring compliance with established internal control policies and procedures as those relate to financial aspects of property management.
- Planning and conducting internal audits and monitors compliance with LIHTC/HUD regulations.
- Coordinating annual budget process with management companies and Property Management Department, preparing related reports and distributing those to internal and external users as needed.
- Reconciling multiple balance sheet and income statement accounts at year-end and preparing related schedules.
- Submitting annual WBARS financial reports for applicable properties.
- Coordinating annual CPA audits and tax return preparation for multiple single-asset entities.
- Preparing periodic financial reports and distributes those to funders and other internal and external users as required.
- Analyzing complex legal documents to ensure VHA compliance with various contractual obligations, trust indentures and other regulatory agreements.
- Assisting Property Management Department with HUD rent increase and budget approval process as needed.
- Maintaining and reconciling a variety of accounts, ledgers, reports, and accounting records.
- Interpreting financial transactions and events for users who must make economic or business decisions as requested.
- Recording, classifying, and summarizing complex financial transactions and events in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and preparing related journal entries.
Pay and Benefits
- The starting salary range for this position is $61,068 - $67,175 per year based on experience. The full salary range for this position is $61,068 - $94,094 per year.
- Full-time, non-exempt position, working 40 hours per week Monday - Friday.
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- Benefits package also includes 9.53% paid into WA PERS by employer, 12 company paid holidays, and generous paid vacation time and separate sick time accrual.
- Meaningful work that addresses affordable housing and homelessness in our community.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related subject plus additional two years of education or experience in accounting or related field required. Candidates who are actively pursuing a relevant degree and are within six months of graduation would be considered to have met this requirement.
- Governmental, property management, affordable housing, or non-profit industry accounting experience preferred.
- CPA certification preferred.
Required Knowledge of:
- Operations, services and activities of a general accounting system.
- Principles and practices of governmental accounting.
- Principles and practices of multi-family real estate operations.
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Methods and techniques of maintaining internal control systems.
- Principles and practices of asset and inventory management.
- Methods and techniques of preparing financial reports and statements.
- Principles and practices of financial record keeping and reporting.
- Modern office procedures, methods and equipment including computers and supporting word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Pertinent Federal, State and local codes, laws and regulations.
Required ability to:
- Manage multiple projects concurrently, as well as complex and time-critical processes and relationships with external parties
- Interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
- Prepare and maintain accurate and current financial statements, clear and concise reports and spreadsheets, including computer generated financial reports.
- Analyze reports and financial statements, and make recommendations on cash flow requirements.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts.
A cover letter and resume are required when applying for this position. For more information on the Vancouver Housing Authority please visit our website at www.vhausa.org. Please note, those candidates deemed to best match our requirements will be contacted for an interview. We do not discuss application status during the selection process. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
The VHA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as covered veteran in accordance with federal, state, and local laws.
To apply, please visit:
Then click APPLY NOW to start your application