Are you passionate about ensuring safe and quality housing for individuals and families? If you are detail-oriented, committed to quality housing, and thrive in a role that combines inspections with community engagement, apply now to become our Housing Inspector.
At the Vancouver Housing Authority (VHA) we work closely with local governments and other community partners throughout Clark County to address issues of affordable housing and homelessness and help families break the cycle of poverty. We provide affordable housing and housing assistance to low-income residents in Clark County. The Housing Inspector plays a vital role in maintaining safe housing compliance with federal, state, and local regulations, while fostering positive relationships with residents, landlords, and colleagues.
Your skills and experience will support our mission as you:
• Perform initial, annual, and follow-up visual and virtual inspections of assigned Section 8 units, facilities, grounds, and buildings. Ensure compliance with HUD regulations, Housing Quality Standards, and other pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes and ordinances. Reviews unit for appropriate use of reasonable accommodation.
• Maintain detailed inspection reports in software highlighting safety and other housing quality standard deficiencies. Ensuring inspections have final results.
• Advise VHA staff, housing residents and landlords, of hazards or discrepancies discovered during inspections.
• Assess requirements for repairs to housing unit and ensures that necessary repairs are completed or follow up action is taken. Advise landlords and tenants of repair techniques and materials required as appropriate.
• May initiate the annual re-inspection process including scheduling inspections with residents and/or owners, and maintaining the inspection schedule, incorporating required schedule changes to meet VHA and resident/landlord needs. May prepare letters and reports.
• Assist in the termination process including reporting discrepancies, interacting with staff, residents, and landlords, attending hearings, and initiating the termination letter and/or withhold payment letter as necessary.
• Complete a variety of other required inspections including move out inspections and housing quality standard inspections for potential landlords. Performs special inspections and quality control inspections on minor fails upon request.
Pay and Benefits
• The starting pay range is $3,670 - $4,037 per month based on experience. The full pay range is $3,670 - $5,273 per month.
• Full-time, non-exempt, union-represented position.
• Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
• Benefits package also includes 9.53% paid into WA PERS by employer, 12 company paid holidays, and generous paid time off accrual.
• Meaningful work that addresses affordable housing and homelessness in our community.
• High school diploma required. Some higher-level education or vocational training specializing in construction or housing inspection preferred.
• Requires at least 2 years of related experience.
• Must have Housing Quality Standards certification or successfully obtain certification within 6 months of employment.
• Driving record sufficient to meet VHA insurance requirements.
A cover letter and resume are required when applying for this position. For more information on the Vancouver Housing Authority please visit our website at www.vhausa.com. Please note, those candidates deemed to best match our requirements will be contacted for an interview. We do not discuss application status during the selection process. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
The VHA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as covered veteran in accordance with federal, state, and local laws.
To apply, please visit:
Then click APPLY NOW to start your application