SALARY: $27.00 - $33.07 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 02/02/23
CLOSING DATE: 02/23/23 04:30 PM
HOW TO APPLY: Housing Specialist - Central Applications Center (CAC)
King County Housing Authority (KCHA), an independent municipal organization is a high performing nationally recognized leader in affordable housing. KCHA is a national leader in providing innovative and effective housing solutions so that people and communities can prosper. Our vision is that all residents of King County have quality affordable housing. KCHA is the largest housing provider in the county, and annually, the agency serves over 55,000 low-income individuals.
We transform lives through housing.
We are recruiting for a talented, detail oriented, and customer service focused Housing Specialist, based in Shoreline. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, enjoys a diversity of customers, and is committed to the highest standards in public service.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Able to work independently and maintain responsibility for a variety of routine and complex clerical activities.
- Able to provide exceptional customer service to a diverse population of internal and external stakeholders.
- Resourceful and able to independently address and resolve issues as they arise.
- Highly skilled as an effective communicator both verbally and in writing.
- Flexible and able to adjust to shifting priorities and needs while maintaining a positive attitude.
- A collaborative team member who is also a strong leader with well-developed organizational and time management skills.
- Able to work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Reliable, with a proven reputation for being consistently dependable.
The individual selected for this position will be responsible for determining initial eligibility for housing assistance. The work will also include using specialized housing software to document and maintain on-line records.
The Housing Specialist - Central Applications Center will:
- Determine eligibility for applicants from waiting lists and executive waivers; determine if applicants meet federal housing preferences including displaced, substandard housing or rent burden; determine additional information needed to complete intake process; determine income, expense deductions and number of bedrooms a family should obtain as defined per rules in the Admission and Continued Occupancy Policy (ACOP).
- Review documents provided by applicant and determine if additional information is required to complete the file; verify income sources, credit history, landlord reference check and criminal history, INS, EIV and assets; gather and review all tax credit paperwork; correspond with applicants as needed regarding program eligibility and denials as defined by ACOP rules.
- Complete tax credit Housing Eligibility Certification paperwork; work closely with tax credit manager to ensure program compliance; handle any changes that need to occur based on the tax credit status; present completed files to supervisor for final approval.
- Complete data entry using various systems; scan and index files; run reports as needed.
- Provide customer service by answering phone calls, returning voice mails and responding to email requests; answer questions related to all Housing Authority programs.
- Communicate with housing authorities and outside agencies regarding applications; monitor record retention to ensure proper procedures are followed; dispose of files appropriately according to established regulations and document actions with manager.
- Maintain consistent and reliable attendance with the ability to arrive on time.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- High School Diploma or GED AND
- Moderate experience in work involving subsidized or affordable housing programs OR
- An equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A collaborative team member who works effectively and productively with others; participates and fosters teamwork, builds rapport and acts as a positive influence to the team.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly and effectively communicate with individuals and groups; ability to present and explain complex information regarding policies and procedures.
- Uses systems to organize, prioritize, and keep track of information and/or work in progress; maintains accurate and complete electronic and manual records; exhibits attention to detail; ability to multi-task in a high-pressure environment.
- Uses critical, creative, and reflective thinking skills to identify problems, analyze and evaluate various solutions, and monitor their effectiveness.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service to a diverse population of internal and external stakeholders; ability to work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong, positive interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively; remains professional, calm and tactful in stressful situations while adhering to a high standard of integrity, honesty, and confidentiality.
- Reliable, with a proven reputation for being consistently dependable.
- Adapts to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities; responds to change with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities and objectives.
- Values organizational diversity; treats other with respect; promotes cooperation; works effectively and positively with individuals of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and educationally diverse populations.
- Proficiency using MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and the internet; skill and ability to learn and use agency software housing management program (Tenmast).
- Consent to and pass criminal records background check.
- Consent to and pass required assessments.
POSITION INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
To be considered for this opportunity, you must:
- Complete the online application profile in its entirety.
- Upload a cover letter that addresses how your experience and education qualifies you to perform the essential functions listed in the job announcement. (Cover Letter)
- Upload a detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary range of this position is $27.00 - $33.07 per hour dependent on qualifications and professional experience. The complete salary range for this position is $27.00 - $39.15 hourly. Performance based merit increase opportunities and COLAs are reviewed on an annual basis. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance plans, vacation, sick and personal leave, tuition reimbursement, and retirement benefits are also available. For more details regarding KCHA comprehensive benefits, please visit our benefits page, www.kcha.org/employment/employeebenefits.aspx.
Physical Work Environment:
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel and occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling and repetitive motions; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work has no exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
King County Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.