The Louisville Metro Housing Authority (LMHA) is seeking an Executive Director to lead the development and management of federally subsidized housing in the Louisville Metropolitan Area.
The mission of LMHA is to set a standard of operational excellence in providing quality, affordable, safe housing opportunities for residents to achieve self-sufficiency and an enhanced quality of life, and collaborating with community partners to build strong, viable neighborhoods. LMHA subsidizes 3,700+ housing units distributed throughout four family housing communities, five eldery/disabled housing communities, and several scattered site housing locations. The agency provides affordable housing to 4,000+ individuals with a wide variety of socioeconomic and health-related barriers to financial stability. In total, LMHA serves nearly 15,000 low-income individuals through its public housing, rental assistance voucher, and local non-traditional programs. Operations are primarily funded by annual Operating funds and Capital Improvement funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Every year, as a participant in the Moving to Work (MTW) Demonstration Program, the Louisville Metro Housing Authority creates and adopts an MTW Annual Plan to outline new and ongoing initiatives that utilize MTW authority.
The Executive Director oversees approximately 300 employees and reports monthly to a nine-member Board of Commissioners, which serves as the policy making body of the Louisville Metro Housing Authority. The Executive Director serves at the pleasure of the Mayor. The Mayor also appoints individuals to the Board of Commissioners, subject to approval by the Metro Council. The Executive Director is responsible for ensuring appropriate and efficient execution of all LMHA programs and services in accordance with the agency’s policies, MTW terms & conditions, and local, state and federal laws. The Executive Director is expected to lead long-term strategic planning efforts to expand and enhance public housing options while also maintaining an active role in the management of LMHA’s existing facilities.
LMHA is looking for a dynamic, knowledgeable and forward-thinking public servant to serve as its Executive Director. The ideal candidate would excel in all of the following areas:
- Excellent communication with external stakeholders, including public housing clients, resident councils, the Metro Council, and the Metro Department of Housing and Community Development, and HUD;
- Proactively engaging the Board of Commissioners to assist the Executive Director in accomplishing the mission of LMHA;
- Modeling and enabling best practices with regard to Board governance;
- Hiring and training capable staff and maintaining excellent morale across the workforce;
- Proactively addressing maintenance, security, health and life safety issues at properties subsidized by LMHA;
- Strong understanding of HUD laws and regulations including specifically:
- The application of the Moving to Work (MTW) Demonstration Program, both from a tactical and compliance standpoint;
- Faircloth-to-RAD conversions to increase the supply of affordable housing;
- Formation of productive public/private partnerships to facilitate creative collaboration;
- Development and execution of strategies to retire aging public housing stock and replace it with new state-of-the-art housing options.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license upon hire; and
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in public administration, housing, urban or regional planning, business administration, or similar field; and
- At least four years of government or non-profit experience in an executive leadership or managerial role; or
- An equivalent combination of education, experience, and training sufficient to perform the required duties.
Applicants are instructed to submit a résumé and letter of interest to Sophie Call, Special Advisor to the Mayor, by email at Sophie.Call@louisvilleky.gov.