EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Under the general director of the Executive Director, this position performs executive secretarial tasks; relieving the Executive Director of administrative detail by receiving and handling inquiries, complaints and requests related to departmental activities. The Executive Assistant also acts as a liaison between the Executive Director and AHA staff, and members of the community. Overall, the work involves a considerable amount of independent judgment in providing effective administrative and clerical support.
Supervision may be exercised over clerical support staff.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Performs all executive secretarial tasks for the Executive Director, including transcribing and proofreading confidential correspondence, preparing reports and minutes of meetings, scheduling appointments and maintaining confidential files;
- Prepares letters, memoranda and reports;
- Maintains calendar of appointments for the Executive Director;
- Receives and responds to complaints and inquires addressed to the Executive Director;
- Coordinates the work of administrative support staff;
- Receives and responds to mail received for the Executive Director, routing any necessary mail to the Executive Director for immediate attention;
- Coordinates all travel arrangements for the Executive Director;
- Retrieves information in an automated information system;
- Performs related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Thorough knowledge of secretarial practices including typing and general office procedures;
- Thorough knowledge of the operation of computers and skill in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database, and other software as required by the position;
- Good knowledge of departmental policies and procedures;
- Good knowledge of the correct use of English grammar, punctuation, and spelling;
- Working knowledge of the organization, functions, and activities of local government and in the City;
- Ability to relieve a professional of administrative details with a minimum of supervision;
- Ability to deal with the public and high level public and private officials in a tactful, pleasant, courteous, and diplomatic manner and to maintain confidentiality of information;
- Ability to maintain records in a concise and organized manner;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and diverse populations;
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and to work without close supervision;
- Ability to supervise others;
- Ability to multitask;
- Ability to complete assigned projects within short deadlines;
- Ability to work effectively on a variety of projects simultaneously;
- Ability to understand and follow moderately complex oral and written directions;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Ability to independently and effectively plan, organize, coordinate, and follow-up on several projects of a diverse nature;
- Good judgment;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Business Administration or a related field and seven (7) year of full-time paid administrative, office management or secretarial experience, which must have included two years of providing supervision to others; OR
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate’s Degree in Business Administration or a related field and nine (9) year of full-time paid administrative, office management or secretarial experience, which must have included two years of providing supervision to others.
Interested candidates should submit completed applications and resumes directly to:
AHA Career Center:
Or in person at:
200 South Pearl Street Albany, NY 12202
Attn: Human Resources