Please note this position is open until filled; however, to ensure consideration applications should be received by August 15, 2023, at 4:30 p.m.
King County Housing Authority (KCHA), an independent municipal organization, is a high performing nationally recognized leader in affordable housing. KCHA provides innovative and effective housing solutions so that people and communities can prosper. Our vision is that all residents of King County have quality affordable housing. KCHA is the largest housing provider in the county, and annually, the agency serves over 55,000 low-income individuals.
We transform lives through housing.
We are currently recruiting for a professional Construction Project Specialist to support and provide assistance to project managers and other staff in the Construction and Weatherization Department.
The individual selected for this role manages construction file documentation including plans, specifications, and cost estimates for renovations, weatherization, alteration, or new construction residential buildings (multi-family include garden style, stacked flats and mid-rise) and community development projects. Prepares bid packages, conducts bid openings, obtains building permits, maintains submittals and logs, prepares construction directive and change order proposals, maintains project files, participates in progress meetings, maintains as built drawings, and assists in project close out process.
The Construction Project Specialist will:
• Manage multiple, consecutive construction documents including plans, specifications, and cost estimates for renovations, weatherization, alteration, or new construction on multi-family residential buildings.
• Participate in contractor procurement, contracting, construction, closeout, warranty, and archiving processes.
• Manage administrative tasks required by construction contracts and departmental/agency requirements.
• Certify businesses that declare themselves Section 3; document criteria to determine if the business meets the minimum standards as defined by HUD Code of Federal Regulations; submit yearly reports to U.S. Department of Housing and Development (HUD).
• Establish and maintain working relationships with contractors, local businesses, labor unions, and other community agencies to encourage, create and provide employment opportunities for residents.
Qualifications and Competencies
• Associates/Technical degree in construction management, or related field AND
• Moderate experience in construction management and operations, contracts, and procurement
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be substituted on a year for year basis.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of construction project scheduling, permitting, change order preparation and processing, construction document preparation, public bidding process, and project close out procedures.
• Familiarity with contract management practices.
• Analyzes problems, identifies alternative solutions, and implements recommendations; demonstrates critical, creative, and reflective thinking.
• Clearly and effectively communicates both verbally and in writing by actively listening and sharing relevant information.
• Ability to explain complex or technical information regarding rules, rights, regulations, policies, procedures, programs, or services to answer questions, resolve problems, and communicate decisions or actions.
• Uses systems to organize, prioritize, and keep track of information and/or work in progress; maintains accurate and complete electronic and manual records; exhibits attention to detail; ability to multi-task in a high-pressure environment.
• Proficiency with MS Office to include Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Works effectively and efficiently to provide quality service to satisfy service expectations; seeks ways to improve service delivery; demonstrates strong project management skills.
• Consent to and pass a driver's and criminal records background check.
• Must possess a valid driver's license and own or have access to a vehicle to regularly travel between work sites or have an alternative reliable mode of transportation.
Position Information and Application Process
To be considered for this opportunity, you must:
• Complete the online application profile in its entirety.
• Upload a cover letter that addresses how your experience and education qualifies you to perform the essential functions listed in the job announcement. Be sure to include experience either in large scale/multi-story residential construction, remodeling, or repair projects. (Cover Letter)
• Upload a detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary range of this position is $66,411.00 - $81,354.00 annually dependent on qualifications and professional experience. The complete salary range for this position is $66,411.00 - $96,296.00 annually. Performance based merit increase opportunities and COLAs are reviewed on an annual basis. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance plans, vacation, sick and personal leave, tuition reimbursement, and retirement benefits are also available. For more details regarding KCHA comprehensive benefits, please visit our benefits page, www.kcha.org/employment/employeebenefits.aspx.
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, using hands to finger, handle or feel and repetitive motions, frequently requires speaking or hearing and occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms and lifting; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires wet, humid conditions (non-weather), working near moving mechanical parts, working in high, precarious places, exposure to fumes or airborne particles and exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
King County Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.