The Chief Financial Officer will provide leadership and coordination in the administrative, business planning, accounting and budgeting efforts of the Authority and will perform all duties and responsibilities attendant to the position of Chief Financial Officer. The Chief Financial Officer shall be charged by and be accountable to the Executive Director for all aspects of NHA financial and fiscal management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversees the following departments: Finance, Budgeting and Administrative Services, Contracting and Procurement and Information Technology.
- Supports, in position’s capacity, all Authority operating departments.
- Creates, coordinates and evaluates the financial programs and supporting information systems of the Authority to include budgeting, development planning and conservation of assets.
- Approves and coordinates changes and improvements in automated financial and management information systems for the Authority.
- Ensures compliance with local, state and federal budgetary reporting requirements.
- Oversees the approval and processing of revenue, expenditure and position control documents, department and community budgets, mass salary updates, ledger and account maintenance and data entry.
- Coordinates the preparation of financial statements, financial reports, special analyses and information reports.
- Develops and implements financial, accounting, billing and auditing procedures.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate internal control safeguards.
- Ensures records systems are maintained in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards.
- Develops and directs the implementation of strategic business and/or operational plans, projects, programs and systems.
- Analyzes cash flow, cost controls and expenses to guide NHA leaders; analyzes financial statements to pinpoint potential weak areas.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures.
- Oversees financial management of subsidiary operations to include developing financial and budget policies and procedures.
- Recruits, trains, supervises and evaluates department staff.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; persists despite obstacles and opposition. This skill is characterized by the following types of behaviors:
- Takes initiative to make things happen
- Maintains positive “can-do” attitude; successfully meets or exceeds goals
- Demonstrates dedication to and understanding of the mission of the organization
- Contributes to a positive team spirit
- Takes ownership of issues and problems, even when originating in other areas
- Consistently demonstrates effort to meet and exceed internal/external client expectations
- Overcomes obstacles to complete projects/tasks successfully
- Continuously improves own performance standards and results
- Makes specific changes in work processes to improve performance
- Learns and applies new information quickly
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands, monitors and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind. Recognizes working colleagues as customers. This skill is characterized by the following types of behaviors:
- Treats customers with courtesy and concern; responds promptly, professionally and politely
- Anticipates what customer wants, and works to provide it
- Initiates action/response to customer complaint/inquiry
- Responds in a timely, effective manner, even if just following-up
- Considers every customer interaction as important
- Always delivers on customer commitments; measures performance
- Translates customer information to others in the organization with a need to know
- Ensures that consultation, products and services delivered address the customer's needs by asking customer for feedback
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing. Demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; listens effectively. This skill is characterized by the following types of behaviors:
- Willingly shares information
- Recognizes important information and ensures that others that need to know are informed
- Clearly and concisely expresses ideas and concepts orally and in writing
- Listens openly and non-judgmentally
- Expresses disagreement tactfully and sensitively
- Summarizes input, then checks for understanding
- Listens without interrupting
- Uses correct grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Maintains eye contact when speaking
- Thinks through main ideas that he/she is trying to express
- Ensures information is accurate; stops rumors from spreading
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself personally responsible for one's own work; does fair share of work. This skill is characterized by the following types of behaviors:
- Will not ignore a problem, even if it is not one's direct responsibility
- Anticipates and acts to avoid a future problem
- Reacts quickly and positively to customer and co-worker inquiries
- Puts the highest priority on accomplishing objectives
- Demonstrates flexibility in balancing job responsibilities and the ability to deal with change
- Puts success of team above own interests and willingly assists others to succeed or complete tasks when needed
- Demonstrates high-level of adaptability and willingness to help as needed
- Takes responsibility for one's own actions
- Places personal integrity beyond reproach
- Ensures fair share of work is completed
- Appropriately shares credit for work and ideas with co-workers and subordinates
- Understands the importance of timeliness and accuracy in the workplace
- Maintains a satisfactory attendance record and is consistently punctual
- Focuses on work-related activities and acts in ways which support mission and goals of the Authority
Leadership: Provides direction by clearly and effectively setting course of action for department and subordinates; manages performance by providing regular feedback and reinforcement to subordinates. This skill is characterized by the following types of behaviors:
- Makes expectations clear
- Establishes a manageable workload
- Accomplishes long-term objectives by planning and taking the necessary steps
- Keeps focus on big picture while implementing details
- Provides consistent and continuous feedback of work performance
- Positively reinforces desired outcomes
- Recognizes performance on a timely basis
- Conducts performance reviews on time and provides complete and constructive feedback
- Deals with sub-par performance effectively, sensitively and on a timely basis
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting or business related field, with Master’s degree and/or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred; minimum of ten years financial management experience with the day-to-day financial operations of a large organization, at least eight of which are in the public housing industry; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Applicants must possess a valid certification as Certified Municipal Finance Officer issued by the NJ Department of Community Affairs, Division of Local Government Services. Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
Ability to write reports, correspondence, and procedure manuals that are generally error free. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, percent and basic statistical data and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have strong computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel). Must be able to learn other recording, information systems, or computer software as necessary.
Other Skills and Abilities
Must have expertise in financial analysis and modeling, real estate assessment, and risk evaluation. Must be able to prepare concise and accurate analysis for executive level decision-making.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Commensurate with education and experience.
All persons interested in this position are requested to send a resume and cover letter to Human Resources Department, Newark Housing Authority, 500 Broad Street, 5rd Floor, Newark, New Jersey 07102, or E-Mail a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax resume and cover letter to 973-273-6350.