Reports to: Board of Commissioners
Direct Reports: Seven (7) direct reports including the Chief Operating Officer & General Counsel, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Real Estate Investment Officer, Director – Resident & Community Connections, Director of Communications & Public Relations, Director – Planning and Data, and Senior Executive Assistant Location: Denver, CO
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will provide strategic leadership and support to all DHA departments, programs, and community stakeholders in a post-pandemic landscape and during a time of dynamic change and growth.
They will build upon a strong foundation, working closely with the Board of Commissioners and DHA leaders in advancing the agency’s mission and vision to promote thriving communities, and continue a focus on neighborhood revitalization through resident empowerment, community partnerships, social enterprise, and sustainable development.
The CEO will ensure that DHA remains fiscally sound and continues to seek out new entrepreneurial avenues to positively impact Denver in affordable housing, community building, and addressing the homelessness crisis to meet the needs and interests of its residents and the broader Denver Community.
Critical to the success of the role, and further delivering on the DHA mission, will be building a strong relationship with the City’s new Mayor and administration, and ensuring DHA is an important contributor and voice at the table in solving homelessness in the City.
Priorities of the position include but are not limited to:
- Oversee the implementation of the 2022-2027 strategic plan designed to leverage extraordinary accomplishments made to date and support the current trajectory of innovative property development, neighborhood transformation, community development, and resident empowerment.
- Partner with a new Mayor and City Council, along with established mission-aligned institutions and organizations to be involved in securing properties used for transitional, emergency, and permanent housing.
- Be prepared to undertake growth and innovation in real estate development activity, including financing mechanisms, and the impact that it will have on the organization and the community moving forward.
- Participate in DHA resident engagement activities including attending monthly Resident Council Board executive meetings.
- Provide continued support and leadership to DHA staff and residents.
- Embrace and expand the DEI Blueprint and execute on priority recommendations. Connect and network with federal, state, and local government officials and DHA partners
- Strategic Leadership & Board Relations Drive the vision and strategy for growth; engage both internal and external stakeholders to achieve DHA’s mission and next level of impact.
- Explore trends within affordable housing and community development; work to develop new programs; develop new strategies to make existing programs more successful.
- Maintain entrepreneurial efforts to increase non-HUD revenues through innovative funding initiatives and partnerships with other entities.
- Ensure DHA secures the necessary resources through federal financial assistance, capital financing and other financial instruments to meet its goals and objectives.
- Oversee the preparation of the annual budget for Board of Commissioners’ approval; keep the Board informed of the financial health of DHA and other significant activities.
- Serve as a thought partner to the Board of Commissioners and ensure that relevant, accurate, and timely information is provided to inform and guide the Board’s strategic level thinking.
- Secure the appointment of new Board Commissioners and ensure a smooth and effective onboarding process.
External Relations, Partnership Development & Marketing
- Serve as chief champion and spokesperson representing DHA locally and nationally; leverage public speaking opportunities; communicate with residents, financial partners, business professionals, community leaders, union representatives, funders, legislators, government agencies and all partners involved in DHA programs and projects.
- Maintain regular contact with the Mayor and serve as the primary communication link between DHA and HUD officials.
- Promote ongoing dialogue with the Homeless Leadership Council and other key groups to seek input on DHA’s role in addressing homelessness, innovating housing solutions, and improving housing conditions and supply in the city.
- Promote DHA as one of the City of Denver’s top developers by designing and developing communities that are recognized as meeting the needs of their residents and neighbors.
- Ensure DHA developments lead to neighborhood revitalization through strategic alliances with community stakeholders and strategic leveraging of mixed-use and mixed-income development opportunities.
- Develop strategic partnerships that lead to the maximum leveraging of financial, human, and organizational resources that advance the mission of the agency at every opportunity.
Community Leadership & Resident Engagement
- Maintain strong relationships with Local Resident Councils and Resident Council Board; empower residents to participate in the governance and oversight of their property and support individual and collective efforts to improve the condition and quality of their neighborhood, and to achieve self-sufficiency.
- Strive to make all DHA communities active, vibrant, and healthy places to live while delivering quality training, education, and employment opportunities and other related services to residents of all ages.
- Maximize opportunities for disadvantaged residents, businesses, and communities; promote resident employment and micro-business formation.
- Ensure the posterity of future and existing residents through operational efficiency, policy that reduces harm and resident retention and success.
- Attend and participate in meetings and other community events; engage with City neighborhood planning, advancing equity and anti-displacement initiatives. Ensure DHA is recognized for its innovative programs that achieve high levels of MBE/WBE/SBE participation and create economic impact and opportunity in communities served.
Financial Management & Internal Leadership
- Provide general oversight of all DHA’s financial activities; ensure diversity of its revenue-generating initiatives and innovative financing strategies with a focus on financial sustainability.
- Ensure a strong system of asset management of DHA’s existing real estate portfolio utilizing industry best practices; ensure residential properties are healthy, thriving communities and commercial properties are managed and leveraged to maximum benefit.
- Align financial resources to best support strategic goals; ensure the effective management of day-to-day operations and a highly functioning organization. Together with CFO oversee the development of the annual operating budget for the organization; ensure that the organization is in compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations and obligations and operates within approved budget guidelines.
- Provide inspirational leadership and management of the staff; support a high
- performing team, create continuous opportunities for growth and development across the organization.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of executive management and leadership experience including strategic planning and execution in affordable housing, real estate development and property management, homeless services, community development, or public administration.
- Track record of developing and executing strategic plans; creating and monitoring budgets, negotiating complex financial transactions; ability to structure complex development and redevelopment deals.
- Broad general management experience in large organizations across finance/finance development, human resources, operations/technology, marketing, programming, fundraising, and working with Boards.
- Achievement in change environments, bringing to scale complex organizations and projects; adept at assessing operational requirements necessary to support sustainable growth and healthy organizational culture.
- Fundraising ability with a track record of building innovative partnerships and diversifying revenue and other funding streams.
- Experience working collaboratively with internal and external constituents including residents, unions, financial institutions, community leaders, politicians, HUD, and organizational partners.
- Experience working collaboratively with a Board of Commissioners or Directors.
- Superior mentoring, professional development, people management and leadership skills; inspiring team builder who engenders trust and builds group commitment to goals and objectives.
- Multicultural management experience, including recruitment, management, and development of diverse teams.
- Passion and commitment to the mission and vision of DHA and it’s unique role in Denver as a progressive leader in neighborhood transformation and community development.
- Experienced community leader comfortable building relationships and strategic partnerships in diverse settings; experienced at community visioning.
- Visionary leader open to innovative ideas, able to manage and drive change, and willing to take calculated risks.
- Growth-oriented with strong organizational and management skills; ability to delegate and roll up sleeves.
- Champion of inclusivity and equity at all levels of the organization, in the community and especially with DHA residents; committed to maintaining strong resident services and fostering resident engagement.
- Strong business acumen in financial and real estate development; highly numerate, strives for continuous improvement; translates goals/initiatives into action.
- Servant leadership approach; demonstrates high emotional intelligence, and conveys respect.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- MBA or related advanced degree or its equivalent
The Housing Authority of the City and County of Denver is an Equal Opportunity Employer If you or someone in your network is interested in exploring this opportunity, please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Bridge Partners Partner