SALARY: $32.24 - $35.69 Hourly
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Please note this position is open until filled; however, to ensure consideration applications should be received by November 29, 2022, at 4:30 p.m.
King County Housing Authority (KCHA) is currently recruiting for an experienced and skilled maintenance professional to maintain, service and repair the housing units for our Burndale Homes portfolio located in and near beautiful downtown Auburn, WA. Close access to freeways and local transit makes this a convenient location for commuting.
We have a reputation for excellence in affordable housing and the Site-Based Maintenance Mechanic will be relied on to utilize their broad knowledge and experience in the field of maintenance. The successful candidate will ensure the portfolio is kept in outstanding condition through both regular preventative and general grounds maintenance. The Site-Based Maintenance Mechanic will perform duties as needed to include, but not limited to: minor plumbing and electrical work, drywall, carpentry and painting. Another meaningful aspect of this role is the need for excellent customer service in working with a richly diverse group of tenants.
At times, the Site-Based Maintenance Mechanic and Landscaper/Cleaner will work together on maintenance, grounds, custodial work, and room turns. Additionally, work in this portfolio will require upkeep and cleaning of the buildings and public areas, as well as any required maintenance for the residential units, appliances, and associated equipment. Occasionally there will be a need to respond to over-time emergency calls. This position is represented by the Seattle King County Building Trades Council.
Our hours of operation are 8am-4:30pm Monday through Friday. KCHA does have some options for alternative work schedules. There are a few restrictions; however, there are many possibilities to ensure your schedule can meet your work/life balance needs as well as the needs of the team. We are a smaller crew who enjoy humor, taking pride in our work and valuing each other’s individuality. Open communication is welcomed and encouraged. We are looking for someone to join our team who is excited about making a difference and wants to enjoy their work day with a great team!
King County Housing Authority (KCHA), an independent municipal organization is a high performing nationally recognized leader in affordable housing. To learn more about KCHA and our Mission visit this link.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Two years of experience in the maintenance of residential buildings.
- REAC (Real Estate Assessment Center) inspection experience is a plus.
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be substituted on a year for year basis.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Work requires knowledge of:
- Building methods, materials, tools and equipment.
- Interior and exterior painting, carpentry, plumbing, electrical or mechanical trades.
- Maintaining landscaping and cleaning.
- Building systems (HVAC, Boilers, Sprinklers, Tankless water heaters, DHPs, etc.).
Work requires the ability to:
- Troubleshoot mechanical, electrical/natural gas, appliances, plumbing problems and determine most cost-effective method for repair.
- Be a self-starter and work independently or in a group.
- Maintain and service assigned equipment, including generators, weed eaters, mowers, and edgers.
- Be knowledgeable regarding the permitting and inspection process for large projects.
- Be able to plan and work on small projects.
- Work in tight, confined areas or on roofs.
- Read and interpret diagrams, schematics, blueprints, drawings specifications and manuals.
- Maintain effective customer relations with tenants and their family members.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by the first day of employment or have an approved medical or religious exemption and reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations will be made for qualifying individuals if the accommodations do not present an undue hardship. More information can be found by clicking the following link, COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements.
- Consent to and pass a driver's and criminal records background check.
- Must possess a valid driver's license in order to travel regularly between work sites.
- Consent to and pass a Physical Abilities Test and required assessments.
POSITION INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
To be considered for this opportunity an applicant should:
- Complete the online application profile in its entirety.
- Upload a cover letter that addresses how your experience and education qualifies you to perform the essential functions listed in the job announcement. (Cover Letter)
- Upload a detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary for this position is $32.24 per hour. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance plans, vacation, sick and personal leave, tuition reimbursement, and retirement benefits are available.
Physical Work Environment:
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed in both indoor and outdoor environments with exposure to dirt and dust, noise, fumes and odors, in darkness or in areas with poor lighting.
- Incumbent(s) frequently use power and hand tools and machinery.
- Work requires bending, lifting, kneeling, climbing as well as working on ladders and tight spaces. Work may occasionally expose incumbent to electrical, chemical and mechanical hazards natural to maintenance work performed.
King County Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.