The Housing Authority of Baltimore City (HABC) has the responsibility to safeguard the health of all employees and their families, our customers and visitors, our residents, and the community at large. With this, all new employees are required to receive at least one COVID-19 vaccination shot in a two-shot series or be fully vaccinated prior to the date of hire. Proof of vaccination is required prior to the date of hire. All new employees are required to be fully vaccinated within 30 days of the date of hire.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Under general supervision is responsible for managing a portfolio of real estate development projects within the Planning & Development Division. Develops and implements revitalization project activities at multiple sites, performs a detailed level of analysis and review, and monitors project compliance and project budget. Reports to the SVP/Director of Planning & Development, acts on his/her behalf as needed. Performs in a high profile role in project development and other activities necessary to support Housing Authority of Baltimore City’s (HABC) revitalization efforts initiated by the Agency. Responsible for review and approval of critical tasks and functions associated with project planning, development, and implementation. Provides guidance and supervision to other staff members with regards to their project portfolio.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and implements revitalization project activities at multiple sites. Manages a portfolio of development projects and works with one or more external partners and other HABC staff to achieve project objectives and overall agency redevelopment objectives.
- Performs a detailed level of analysis and review; prepares and presents development options and strategies, determines financial feasibility and realistic development schedules, uses knowledge of market and Agency goals to develop an appropriate development program and assesses developer redevelopment proposals.
- Monitors project compliance with pertinent laws, policies, and procedures. Ensures compliance with various HUD regulations, the development grant agreements, Program Close-Out, and other regulatory agreements and contracts associated with the project.
- Monitors and updates project activity and budget. Reviews and approves invoices as compared to approved budgets submitted by members of the redevelopment team. Provides oversight and direction on budget changes and ensures submission of appropriate forms and documents to State, City’s DHCD, and HUD for development and Mixed Financed developments.
- Promotes the hiring and use of MBE/WBE or Disadvantaged contractors in support of revitalization activities. Works closely with Senior Development Finance Manager on reviewing compliance with Section 3 hiring and the use of Section 3 businesses, encourages Minority and Woman Business Enterprises (MBE/WBE) outreach, and evaluates efforts to include such firms in program activities.
- Works closely with Senior Development Finance Manager and Director on completing funding applications.
- Facilitates non-traditional public/private partnerships to achieve project objectives and address the interests and needs of the residents and affected community members.
- Acts as a liaison between HABC, the City’s Department of Housing and Community Development, and other city or state agencies working on the project. Provides oversight and direction to project consultants, and third parties hired to support or implement redevelopment activities.
- Prepares or supervises preparation of narrative, statistical, and tracking reports for HABC, City‘s DHCD, HUD, the State, and other entities.
- Conducts research on the development and mixed-finance project issues; prepares written analysis with recommendations and options on problems facing the redevelopment effort.
- Works closely with the Mayor’s Office of Neighborhoods, HABC’s Resident Services and Relocation Department, HABC Operations Department, other HABC Departments and third-party supportive services firms to ensure that residents are informed with respect to relocation plans; receive proper notices and advice concerning relocation, have access to appropriate supportive services, and that relocation moves are properly tracked within HABC.
- Attends and participates in community meetings.
- Coordinates with Planning & Development’s Special Assistant to assure project websites are kept up-to-date.
- Provides guidance and acts as team leader to other HABC team members for responsiveness to project requirements and schedules.
- Carries out exceptionally complex real estate negotiations and coordinates and reviews real estate transactions carried out by staff. Supervises the closing of all agreements associated with project pre-development, development and post-development funding. Provides guidance and constructive feedback to line staff on development activities and deal structuring.
- Completes Request for Qualifications (RFQs) or Request for Proposals (RFPs) for development services, program needs, technical assistance, and other services. May review and oversee contracts to ensure consistency with HUD regulations and program objectives. May assist in training staff to negotiate contract terms and provide oversight for consultant performance. May sit on review panels to evaluate proposals, as needed.
- Assists with negotiations and site control for the acquisition of land and or building. Works with the City Acquisition Department and City Law Department in regard to eminent domain, tax sale foreclosures, and other legal processes used to acquire properties.
- Coordinates with staff involved in finance, data processing, personnel, procurements, fair housing, etc.
- Confers regularly with the SVP/Director on goals, progress toward goals, and problem areas. Defines management improvement needs and develops recommendations and programs to meet identified needs.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
Minimum Education, Training, and/or Experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Urban Planning, Environmental Design, Public Administration, or related field. Master’s Degree in Real Estate Development, Urban Planning, or a related field preferred.
- Four (4) years of progressive responsibility in a government or private industry in project management, developing or reviewing, and approving large-scale mixed-finance projects for multi-family rental and homeownership, economic development, commercial development, or related activities. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities may be considered.
- Must be able to be covered under the HABC’s fidelity bond.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to be covered under the HABC’s vehicle insurance carrier.