Under the direct supervision of the Payroll Administrator, and the indirect supervision of the Chief Financial Officer, performs highly responsible accounting work involving payroll data processing, pension reporting, preparation of internal and external reports, and maintenance of employee leave records; works with senior accounting staff on payroll-related accounting entries; does related work as required.
General Responsibilities and Roles:
The role of the Payroll Accountant is to provide high-level accounting and computer support in the Payroll Division, under the Department of Accounting and Finance. The complex, varied and technical range of accounting and computer services provided under this title requires that the Payroll Accountant fulfill a number of roles, namely accountant, secondary researcher, fact-checker, data analyst, word processor, computerized management information system’s problem-solver and troubleshooter. In essence, this position requires a person who can work both independently and as a team member, in a fast-paced environment to effectively deal with a variety of tasks and within given time frames.
Assists in the bi-weekly preparation of employee payroll processing, utilizing third party service bureau programs via personal computer.
Prepares payroll journal vouchers, overtime reports, and deduction reports which will be submitted to the JCHA’s Accounting Department.
- Insures that employee timecards are received with all required approvals by the established cut-off schedule; follows-up as appropriate.
- Maintains employee leave records; prepares quarterly leave balance report for supervisors; investigates errors and inquiries as appropriate.
- Assists in the reconciling, compiling and distribution of payroll checks and direct-deposit notices on a bi-weekly basis.
- Prepares internal payroll reports for special programs and grants on a bi-weekly basis.
- Investigates and prepares summary reports for the Payroll Administrator’s review and approval on response to JCHA Department Heads’ inquiries.
- Assists the Payroll Administrator in the preparation of the monthly, quarterly, and annual pension reports for eligible employees to the State of New Jersey.
- Reports to Chief Financial Officer any observation or suspicion of potential fraud and/or questionable reporting and/or bookkeeping practices not consistent with generally accepted accounting procedures.
- Takes the lead on payroll input in the absence of the Payroll Administrator
- Reconciles payroll deduction registers and forwards all remittance to appropriate party.
- Approves and records payments to payroll service bureau.
- Updates employee deductions as required.
- Ensures that sensitive information, verbal exchanges, legal actions, privacy issues are maintained, discussed and/or retained in a strictly professional and confidential manner.
Position Requirements & Qualifications:
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of six (6) credits in Accounting or Business Administration or Data Processing, supplemented by at least two (2) years online payroll portal experience and custom reporting. Experience with UKG preferred. Fundamental Payroll Certification preferred, but not required.
Prior experience in data input and processing of payroll information into a service bureau payroll system.
- Ability to prepare journal vouchers for input to the general ledger on a monthly basis and demonstrated knowledge of the flow of payroll transactions within an accounting system.
- Ability to handle responsibilities without the need for continued supervision and direction, to solve problems independently and to maintain confidentiality in the processing of employee payroll data.
- Ability to work as part of a team or alone, to complete assigned tasks, meet processing deadlines, and to perform duties requiring constant and close attention to numerical detail
- Excel experience (v-lookups, pivot tables and if statements).
- Ability to communicate clearly, effectively and in a courteous and professional manner with JCHA staff, local/state/federal agency representatives, and a variety of third parties, including various private sector parties.
Jersey City Housing Authority is proud to employ a diverse workforce and is a
Fair Housing and Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
copy and paste link in browser: https://secure6.saashr.com/ta/6171646.careers?CareersSearch
Or Visit our website: www.jerseycityha.org (Click on "About Us", then select, "Careers" in the drop down menu.