$25.37 - $31.08 Hourly
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
HOW TO APPLY: Housing Specialist
Effective December 1, 2021, the King County Housing Authority has instituted a COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement Policy that requires all regular, part-time, and temporary employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for the health and safety of its workplace and community. Newly hired employees must provide proof to KCHA Human Resources after an offer of employment has been made and before their first day of employment that they are fully vaccinated. Individuals with a qualifying medical or religious reason may submit a request for exemption and reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations will be made for qualifying individuals if the accommodations do not present an undue hardship.
Please note this position is open until filled; however, to ensure consideration applications should be received by September 13, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
King County Housing Authority (KCHA), an independent municipal organization is a high performing nationally recognized leader in affordable housing. KCHA is a national leader in providing innovative and effective housing solutions so that people and communities can prosper. Our vision is that all residents of King County have quality affordable housing. KCHA is the largest housing provider in the county, and annually, the agency serves over 55,000 low-income individuals.
We transform lives through housing.
We are recruiting for a talented, detail oriented and customer service focused Housing Specialist based in Tukwila. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, enjoys a diversity of customers and is committed to the highest standards in public service.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Able to provide exceptional customer service to a diverse population of internal and external stakeholders.
- Confident as a public speaker with excellent presentation skills.
- Resourceful and able to independently address and resolve issues as they arise.
- Highly skilled as an effective communicator both verbally and in writing.
- Flexible and able to adjust to shifting priorities and needs while maintaining a positive attitude.
- A collaborative team member who is also a strong leader with well-developed organizational and time management skills.
- Able to work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Reliable, with a proven reputation for being consistently dependable.
This role supports the Housing Choice Vouchers Program. The individual selected will be responsible for determining initial eligibility for housing assistance. They will calculate and certify client rent portion and will conduct briefings on program requirements. The work will also include using specialized housing software to document and maintain on-line records.
The Housing Specialist will:
- Meet with applicants from tenant-based programs, oversee waiting list and executive waivers to determine eligibility; meet with individuals to determine if they meet housing preferences; determine additional information needed to complete briefing process; calculate income, determine deductions and the number of bedrooms for which a family qualifies, as defined per rules in the Administrative Plan.
- Verify employment, disability, assets, INS status, criminal history, earnings and related reports, tax records and related applicable expenses to calculate average monthly income and expenses; calculate estimate rent maximums and estimated housing assistance payments; create applicant vouchers and submit applications to supervisor for approval; for decisions of ineligibility, prepare letter of denial for supervisor approval and call applicant with decision.
- Schedule briefing dates and times and mail out packets, determine number of names to be pulled off the wait list to maintain 100% utilization; provide briefing orientation presentations explaining rules and regulations of the housing program; outline materials and documents and next steps; answer questions on program; input all applicant information into the computer system; cancel waiting list applications and change eligibility status in computer.
- Provide customer service by answering phone calls, returning voice mails and responding to email requests.
- Communicate with housing authorities regarding incoming portable vouchers; assist with the coordination of incoming portables; complete required paperwork and forward to the responsible agency.
- Maintain consistent and reliable attendance with the ability to arrive on time.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- High School Diploma or GED AND
- Moderate experience with subsidized and/or affordable housing programs OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A collaborative team member who works effectively and productively with others; participate and foster teamwork, build rapport and acts as a positive influence to the team.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly and effectively communicate with individuals and groups; ability to present and explain complex information regarding policies and procedures.
- Use systems to organize, prioritize, and keep track of information and/or work in progress; maintain accurate and complete electronic and manual records; exhibit attention to detail; ability to multi-task in a high-pressure environment.
- Proficiency using MS Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as Adobe, DocuSign, OnBase and the internet; skill and ability to learn and use agency housing management software (Tenmast).
- Uses critical, creative, and reflective thinking skills to identify problems, analyze and evaluate various solutions, and monitor their effectiveness.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service to a diverse population of internal and external stakeholders; ability to work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong, positive interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively; remain professional, calm and tactful in stressful situations while adhering to a high standard of integrity, honesty, and confidentiality.
- Reliable, with a proven reputation for being consistently dependable.
- Adapt to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities; respond to change with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work activities and objectives.
- Value organizational diversity; treat others with respect; promote cooperation; work effectively and positively with individuals of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and educationally diverse populations.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by the first day of employment or have an approved medical or religious exemption and reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations will be made for qualifying individuals if the accommodations do not present an undue hardship.
- Consent to and pass required assessments.
- Consent to and pass criminal records background check.
POSITION INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
To be considered for this opportunity, you must:
- Complete the online application profile in its entirety.
- Upload a cover letter that addresses how your experience and education qualifies you to perform the essential functions listed in the job announcement. (Cover Letter)
- Upload a detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary range of this position is $25.37 - $31.08 per hour. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance plans, vacation, sick and personal leave, reduced tuition, and retirement benefits are also available.
Physical Work Environment:
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently requires sitting and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, walking, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling and lifting; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to fumes or airborne particles; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
King County Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.