The Housing Development Manager is responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing a broad range of affordable housing development and redevelopment projects, including redevelopment of the PHA’s existing public housing and new development. The Housing Development Manager will work closely with the PHA’s Deputy Director of Development and other PHA leaders and staff to implement the agency’s redevelopment plan, to pursue financing through a variety of public and private funding mechanisms for various development projects, and to oversee the work of consultants and contractors. The Housing Development Manager will creatively conceptualize and implement complex real estate deals for affordable housing developments that align with the PHA’s mission and values.
Essential Tasks of the Position:
Plans Affordable Housing Development and Redevelopment
- Works closely with PHA development consultants on completion and updates to the agencywide plan.
- Advises PHA leadership on pros and cons related to different repositioning and new development options.
- Assist in determining staff training and other organizational capacity building needed to allow the PHA to manage affordable housing under programs beyond the Section 9 public housing platform.
- Researches and stays up to date on federal, state and local regulations impacting repositioning and redevelopment planning and implementation.
- Evaluates projects in reference to compliance with local codes and State and Federal housing regulations
- Analyzes complex financial information and market conditions.
- Performs feasibility and preconstruction planning for housing acquisition, construction, and rehabilitation.
- Performs a detailed level of analysis and review; prepares and presents development options and strategies, determines financial feasibility and realistic development schedules, uses knowledge of market and Agency goals to develop an appropriate development program and assesses developer redevelopment proposals.
Implementation of the PHA’s redevelopment plan and new housing development initiatives
- Prepares or oversees the preparation by third party consultants of program applications for federal, state and local financial assistance through multiple competitive funding cycles and participates in negotiations with funding sources to finance acquisition, construction, and rehabilitation of affordable housing.
- Develops RFPs and RFQs and coordinates the procurement of contracts including capital needs assessments, development consultants, developer partners, general contractors, A&E contractors and others as needed to facilitate redevelopment of PHA properties and construction of new housing properties.
- Develops and fosters effective relationships internally and externally with all third parties including consultants, public funders, private lenders/equity providers, architects, constructions managers, regulatory officials, etc.
- Develops progress updates for the Board of Commissioners and other key stakeholders.
- Ensures ongoing compliance with funding sources and other regulations through the project development and construction phases.
- Works closely with Office of Strategy and Development, Property Management and other staff to ensure effective communication with residents and solicit resident input on redevelopment projects.
- Works in partnership with non-profits, investors, and public/private development firms to construct, negotiate, and review development proposals and agreements.
- Acts as owner’s representative during housing design, engineering, and construction, including managing consultants/contractors, budget management, conducting inspections, and making recommendations to leadership for decision-making.
- Manages architectural and engineering contracts related to projects.
- Reviews and monitors project budgets and approves draw schedules, change orders and invoices for contractors.
- Represents the PHA in meetings with public agencies and other stakeholders and partners in affordable housing development and redevelopment.
- Promotes the hiring and use of Section 3 residents and businesses, MBE/WBE or Disadvantaged contractors in support of revitalization and new development activities.
- Coordinates with Facilities Management Department to ensure that newly developed units and redevelopment improvements are durable and can be maintained by FM personnel.
- Coordinates with Property Management to ensure units, once developed and available for occupancy, are leased appropriately.
Secondary Tasks of the Position:
- Conducts and completes agency projects as assigned by the Deputy Director of Development and Governmental Affairs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in architecture, planning, public administration, business administration, housing development (including knowledge of LIHTC), or a related field and development/planning.
- Graduate degree in public policy, urban planning, public administration, nonprofit management community development or other related field preferred.
Experience in Related Field
- Minimum of 5 years of professional level experience in housing development finance, project management, residential housing construction, and/or community development. (Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities may be considered
- Significant supervisory and development process experience is essential
- Experience in executive or organizational level project implementation and project management
- Knowledgeable in all facets of the development process, including permitting, contractor selection and construction implementation, establishing project budgets, and financial analysis.
- Familiarity with federal, state, and municipal RFP’s and contracts.
- Considerable communication skills (oral and written)
- Experience in public housing is a plus.
- 3-5 years of supervisory experience, preferred
Knowledge, skills, abilities, licenses and certifications
- Funding and Finance Certification from Neighborworks and/or Rental Housing Development Certification from NDC or ability to become certified within 9 months.
- Bilingual in English-Spanish preferred
- Working knowledge of personal computers
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of public policy, planning and public administration issues
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral, including public speaking).
- Demonstrable analytic skills
- Knowledgeable in various spreadsheets, databases, geographic information systems and word processing
- Working knowledge of statistical analysis and program history
- Ability to use GIS Programs, preferred
- Ability to write grants and financing applications
- Ability to maintain and enforce confidentiality in all assignments
- Ability to work harmoniously with other agency personnel
- Ability to relate to and interact with diverse elderly and family residents in low to moderate income housing settings
- Ability to be flexible and perform work under time pressure
- Ability to train and give guidance and directions to other staff
- Ability to work in office environment
- Type: A Sedentary work. Ability to perform managerial duties. Ability to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move an object. Work involves walking, standing and driving for brief periods of time
- Ability to work 35-hour week. This is intended to be a full time 35-hour position, however the PHA may consider part time hours if a candidate is unable to work full time.
- Ability to work flexible hours, occasionally
- Competency in operating computers, printers and general office equipment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
The requirements for this position are indicative of the physical and mental capacities needed to satisfactorily perform the duties for the position. Reasonable accommodations, as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act will be granted wherever possible.
Select Housing Development Manager position