Home Forward is seeking an Assistant Controller to support Home Forward's strategic and operational objectives in the following way: To manage, supervise and coordinate the accounting and financial activities and operations for the Home Forward including the design, selection and application of accounting policies, procedures; and the selection and application of accounting principles, systems, controls, and records; to coordinate assigned activities with other divisions, departments and outside agencies; and to provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Controller and Chief Financial Officer. In this context, the incumbent in this position will collaborate with others at all levels of the organization and with external stakeholders in the consideration of significant goals, concepts, initiatives, and other activities that profoundly affect Home Forward, its employees, vendors and contractors, and the people that it serves.
To protect the health of the community and employees, effective November 19, 2021, Home Forward requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exemption as a qualification of employment.
Essential Job Functions:
The following tasks are typical for positions in this classification. Any single position may not perform all of these tasks and/or may perform similar related tasks not listed here:
1. Assist Controller with management responsibility for accounting and financial services activities of the Home Forward including the selection and application of accounting principles; direct staff in formulating and documenting accounting policies and procedures.
2. Supervise accounting functions including accounts payable, accounts receivable, general accounting, and monthly financial close. Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for assigned programs; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
3. Ensure that financial records accurately reflect the business transactions of the organization and are in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) applied in a consistent manner.
4. Review systems and procedures to ensure that adequate systems of internal control are in place and operating in the accounting function to provide accurate accounting records and to safeguard assets.
5. Prepare and communicate accurate, timely and useful financial statements and other fiscal reports required by management, governmental agencies, partners, investors, trustees, lenders and other users of Home Forward financial information.
6. Be main contact with onsite audit firm staff and co-ordinate the annual external audit. Prepare draft financial statements, review Schedule of Expenditures of Financial Awards, and complete subsidiary 990s. Ensure that favorable audit results are achieved. Assist Controller with onsite audit firm staff and to help coordinate the annual external audit. Help prepare draft financial statements and schedules; complete annual subsidiary 990s.
7. Provide consulting services to management on financial and accounting issues; direct and/or participate in researching complex accounting and finance related issues; provide recommendations to management staff.
8. Act as a mentor to accounting personnel; assist employees with improvement opportunities; if needed, implement discipline and termination procedures.
9. Serve as member of agency committees.
10. Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of finance and accounting.
11. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Demonstrated understanding of operations, services and activities of a financial management and accounting function in an organization;
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles;
Government Accounting Standards Board;
Principles and practices of accounting, financial management and auditing;
Principles and practices of financial statement preparation in a complex, multidivisional organization;
In depth understanding of systems of internal control;
Accounting for complex real estate transactions;
Proficiency in current computerized accounting systems for enterprise environments; personal computer applications including MS Word, Excel; network based communication systems;
Principles of supervision, training, recognition, and performance evaluation;
Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
Lead the management of a comprehensive financial accounting function;
Monitor, direct and coordinate the work of assigned staff;
Participate in the development and administration of goals, objectives and procedures;
Prepare clear and concise and useful administrative and financial reports;
Prepare and present a variety of complex and accurate financial statements and information;
Ensure compliance with established policies, procedures and regulations;
Ensure that adequate systems of internal control are in place and operating;
Ability to select, supervise, train and evaluate staff;
Ability to research, analyze and evaluate new service delivery methods and techniques;
Ability to interpret and apply complex terms, conditions and rules of federal, state and local funding agencies, debt instruments and partnership agreements;
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
Build and sustain collaborative work relationships both inside and outside the agency;
Aptitude and interest necessary to further develop knowledge and abilities.
DRIVING ORGANIZATIONAL VALUES
We do our work in support of systemic change for racial and social justice.
We work to build and sustain an agency that reflects our diverse community at all levels of Home Forward, especially at the highest positions of power and influence.
We are stewards of public resources and champions for those who need them.
The resources under our stewardship don’t belong to us, they belong to the community. We have an obligation to make big decisions collaboratively and transparently, to make public information available and easy to understand, and to admit when we make mistakes.
We are brave and innovative.
History teaches us we will always face short-term uncertainty, disruptions and shifting politics. Even when change is uncomfortable, we have the courage to take smart risks and to evolve.
Education and Experience Guidelines:
Any combination of experience and education/training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university.
Six years of increasingly responsible accounting experience, including two years of management, administrative and supervisory responsibility with HUD familiarity required.
License or Certificate:
Certified Public Accountant certificate preferred
PHYYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential job functions.
Normal office setting with some travel to attend meetings.
Incumbents require sufficient mobility to work in an office setting and operate equipment; sit for prolonged periods of time; perform repetitive motion of hands and wrists.
Vision sufficient to read small print, computer screens and other printed documents.
Supervision Received and Exercised:
Receives administrative direction from the Controller. Exercises direct supervision over supervisory, professional and technical staff.