DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Under the general supervision of a Senior Asset Manager, the incumbent performs of a variety of tasks related to the effective and efficient management of various types of Albany Housing Authority owned or managed affordable housing. The primary role of this position is to assure the continuing marketability of the property and the protection of the assets by providing on-site accountability. The incumbent provides front-line management in a housing development by performing operational functions in the coordination of on-site construction, painting, carpentry, electricity, landscaping, and debris removal and delivery of goods/services for properties. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for maintaining rental units, ensuring the buildings or units are in good physical condition, ensuring the rental units lease availability is within a reasonable time frame and tenants are maintaining the properties pursuant to guidelines. The title is distinguished from the title of Senior Asset Manager by its being subordinate to that title, the absence of responsibility for long term planning and needs assessment and the absence of responsibility for budgeting and financial reporting. It is front-line management as opposed to the senior management level of responsibility associated with a Senior Asset Managers who is charged with a larger portfolio of properties and supporting staff.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Supports the maintenance of occupancy goals by successfully managing the turnover and leasing of apartments and assuring timely and accurate compilation of all required documentation;
- Acquaints new residents with the policies and procedures that apply to their tenancy;
- Provides orientation and instructions concerning proper operation and maintenance of apartment fixtures, appliances, health and safety issues and related concerns;
- Takes all necessary steps to assure quality customer relations in the delivery of the best possible services and products;
- Performs regular inspections and assures maximum advantage is taken of all opportunities to assess the condition of the rental units under their control;
- Applies sustained and diligent effort to assure fair and consistent lease enforcement;
- Walks the property frequently and inspects the apartments at least annually to note any deficiencies and take corrective action in a timely manner;
- Monitors work demands and controls/assigns work to assure maximum production, productivity and work quality of maintenance personnel;
- Assure and verify adequate skill levels and professional performance of these individuals and take corrective action as necessary;
- Generate and review all electronic management data as instructed and assure that it is practically applied to optimize the value and efficacy of the information provided;
- Prepares reports as required;
- Responds to all telephone and other communications promptly, courteously and professionally;
- Collaborates with other on-site and administrative personnel in preparation for and attendance at property resident functions;
- Coordinates the work of independent contractors to ensure compliance with bid specifications;
- Assists as requested in the process of maximizing rent collections and supporting timely and properly assessed charges for tenant neglect or abuse of Authority property. May be required to assist in the legal process for pursuing non-payment actions;
- Makes recommendations on the physical needs of the property to senior staff;
- Devises and implements adequate controls and provides necessary oversight to assure accurate and accountable site-based material and equipment inventory;
- Handles and resolves complaints;
- Attends meetings;
- Enters and retrieves information in an automated information system;
- Performs related work as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices of effective real estate management and maintenance;
- Good knowledge of real estate management and operational maintenance in medium to large scale apartment complexes, duplexes and single family rental units;
- Working knowledge of office terminology, business mathematics, basic business practices and English;
- Ability to apply to the operations of medium to large scale apartment complexes, duplexes and single family rental property;
- Ability to communicate verbally, in writing and electronically and to generate, retrieve and maintain appropriate written and electronic information and documentation in an organized fashion;
- Basic computer skills;
- Ability and willingness to follow verbal and written instructions, policies and procedures;
- Ability to function effectively in a marketing and customer service environment;
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization;
- Sound judgment;
- Tact and courtesy;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
A. Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Business, Public Administration or related field; OR
B. Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate’s Degree in Business, Public Administration or related field and two (2) years full time paid experience in large scale property management or maintenance or related field; OR
C. Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and four (4) years full time paid experience as defined by the limits of (B) above; OR
A valid NYS Driver’s License is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment.
The terms of employment require the use of an employee’s vehicle for transportation (subject to mileage reimbursement at the IRS allowable rate).
Eligibility for certification as a Public Housing Manager (PHM) under HUD Regs. No. 24CFR Part 867. Possession of certification must be obtained within twelve (12) months of time upon appointment to the position or at the next available opportunity.
Interested candidates should submit completed applications and resumes directly to:
AHA Career Center:
Or in person at 200 South Pearl Street Albany, NY 12202 Attn: Human Resources