Responsible for the accounting and maintenance of the General Ledger and Financial Reporting activities. Reports to the Senior Accounting Supervisor of the General Ledger and Section 8.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Bank reconciliation of all agency bank accounts with General Ledger.
- Analysis and posts of all HUD receipts, Section 8, public housing subsidy, and HUD grant activity.
- Account analysis including the preparation of required journal entries including pre-paid insurance, public housing project income and expense activity from the Private Management Companies.
- Make recommendations for correcting issues identified in reconciliations.
- Allocation entries for payroll, bank reconciliation and general ledger modules.
- Assist Finance employees with month end close and account analysis.
- Prepare supporting documentation for independent audit.
- Prepare financial reports and account analysis for Senior Accounting Supervisor and the Vice President of Fiscal and Business Operations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of government financing.
- Knowledge of job related financial accounting software.
- Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Possess organizational skills.
- Ability to interface with other areas of the Finance Department.
COMPLEXITY / SCOPE OF WORK
- The employee performs a wide variety of routine and repetitive tasks. The course of action is determined primarily by established procedures and regulation.
- Decisions regarding unusual circumstances are made in conjunction with the supervisor and/or Vice President of Fiscal & Business Operations.
- The employee refers to the Houston Housing Authority and HUD guidelines and to computer accounting applications manuals in performing work. These guidelines cover most job-related situations although the employee occasionally is required to use independent judgment in making decisions. If guidelines do not cover a situation, the employee consults the supervisor or makes a decision based on the circumstances.
- Employee does not have direct supervisory responsibilities.
- The employee receives direction and guidance from the Senior Accounting Supervisor of the General Ledger.
- Routine duties are initiated by the employee without supervisory direction.
- Instructions to the employee maybe general or specific in nature.
- Problems or situations not covered by instructions are referred to the Supervisor for resolution.
- The employee’s work is reviewed occasionally for accuracy, completion and compliance with policies and procedures.
- The employee has regular contact with executive employees, other Houston Housing Authority employees, board members, and residents.
- Intermittently, the employee has contact with regulatory agency personnel and personnel from other Authorities, state and local agencies, contractors and business firms. The purpose of these contacts is to facilitate communications between executive staff members and other employees and persons outside the Houston Housing Authority.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Level of manual dexterity sufficient to allow for operation of a computer keyboard, computer mouse, telephone, facsimile machine, calculator, etc.
- Ability to move, handle, or lift small objects around desk area, e.g. files, computer printouts, reports, calculator, pencils, legal pads, etc.
- Work is principally sedentary, at a desk, but may involve some physical exertion, such as kneeling, crouching, or lifting to obtain files, records, supplies and materials.
- Graduate from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in accounting, or related field required.
- Two (2) years of experience in HUD or regulatory matters or four (4) years of related work experience.
- Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which in the sole determination of the Houston Housing Authority, constitutes the required knowledge and abilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.