SALARY: $31.73 - $35.00 Hourly
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
HOW TO APPLY: Accountant - HCV Portability
Effective December 1, 2021, the King County Housing Authority has instituted a COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement Policy that requires all regular, part-time, and temporary employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for the health and safety of its workplace and community. Newly hired employees must provide proof to KCHA Human Resources after an offer of employment has been made and before their first day of employment that they are fully vaccinated. Individuals with a qualifying medical or religious reason may submit a request for exemption and reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations will be made for qualifying individuals if the accommodations do not present an undue hardship.
This position is open until filled; however, to ensure consideration applications should be received by September 13, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
About King County Housing Authority
King County Housing Authority (KCHA), an independent municipal organization, is a high-performing, nationally recognized leader in affordable housing and in providing innovative and effective housing solutions so that people and communities can prosper. Our vision is that all residents of King County have quality affordable housing. KCHA is the largest housing provider in the County, and annually the agency serves over 55,000 low-income individuals.
We transform lives through housing.
We are currently recruiting for an Accountant to join the Finance Department in Tukwila, Washington. This role provides vital services to internal employees, program participants, outside investors and a wide array of other stakeholders. This position performs difficult technical work in the maintenance, analysis, interpretation, and management of financial accounting data within the Authority, ensuring compliance with governmental accounting regulations and procedures, and related work as apparent or assigned.
The Accountant will:
- Lead, train, and inspect the work of staff; assist in coaching and counseling; assist with ensuring deadlines for the department are met.
- Work closely with other housing authorities to ensure tenant incoming portability accounts are up to date; serve as a liaison between the owners, internal staff, and tenants for accurate annual reporting of customer’s account.
- Perform portability voucher account analysis and reconciliation.
- Prepare journal entries.
- Review and balance accounts payable and receivable for HCV Funds; create and post invoices; update and accumulate administrative fees.
- Serve as the expert on Travel Policy; review travel requests to ensure compliance with the Authority’s policy.
- Set up new accounts payable vendors in the Authority’s financial system.
- Assist in the development of Finance Department policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other responsibilities of the Accountant may include:
- Manage accounts payable process for the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program; and ensure timely issuance of payments.
- Compile owners report; confirm Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN); analyze 1099 report to ensure all payments are reported; issue annual 1099-Miscellaneous Income (1099-MISC).
- Evaluate and enter in the Tenant Retro Rent Agreements from in-house staff; monitor and recommend accounts for write-off.
- Review Section 8 bank balance; monitor and approve Positive Pay exceptions; cancel checks as needed, reissue or void outstanding checks; review HCV bank balance and request transfers between accounts as appropriate.
- Assess terminated accounts, gather documents and send to Collection Company as needed.
- Oversee and code subsidies received; analyze and settle income and expense accounts; detect problems and amounts to resolve with reconciliations from U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
- Serve as the liaison between HUD and the Finance Department; stay current on all rules and regulations.
- Prepare and report financial data, financial statements, and leasing information for the Section 8 Program to HUD; balance all income, expense, and liability accounts; prepare reserves accounts for various vouchers.
- Monitor, process and chronicle payments, transactions, financial functions for the Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS) to the escrow accounts.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance or related field AND
- Two years experience in Accounting OR
- An equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrates knowledge of:
- Principles, practices and terminology of general, fund and governmental accounting, including financial statement preparation and methods of financial and internal controls and financial reporting.
- Practical accounting experience and knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- U.S. Department of Housing and Development (HUD), Federal, State and local government accounting regulations and procedures; Authority regulations, policies and procedures.
- Financial planning and control procedures, accounting and budgeting within the housing authority; internal audit systems.
- Ability to:
- Evaluate complex accounting systems and efficiently formulate and install accounting methods, procedures, forms and records.
- Prepare clear, concise and complete financial documents, statements and reports; make accurate arithmetic calculations.
- Exercises independent judgment and discretion in performing departmental activities including handling difficult situations, maintaining standards, and resolving problems.
- Understands technical aspects of the position; utilize automated accounting systems; understand and accurately use the Authority's Chart of Accounts.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and database software.
- Clearly and effectively communicates both verbally and in writing by actively listening and sharing relevant information with internal and external customers.
- Strong organizational skills including prioritizing, ensuring accuracy, multi-tasking, and handling interruptions appropriately; ensuring assignments are completed in a timely and effective manner.
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by the first day of employment or have an approved medical or religious exemption and reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations will be made for qualifying individuals if the accommodations do not present an undue hardship.
- May be required to complete assessments.
- Consent to and pass credit and criminal records background check.
POSITION INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
To be considered for this opportunity, you must:
- Complete the online application profile in its entirety.
- Upload a cover letter that addresses how your experience and education qualifies you to perform the essential functions listed in the job announcement. (Cover Letter)
- Upload a detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
Salary & Benefits
The starting salary range of this position is $31.73 - $35.00 per hour. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance plans, vacation, sick and personal leave, reduced tuition, and retirement benefits are also available.
Physical Work Environment:
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing and walking; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data and observing general surroundings and activities; work has no exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
King County Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.