DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is semi-skilled work involving the performance of routine building repair and maintenance and/or assisting skilled tradesmen or mechanics in a variety of buildings and grounds maintenance tasks. A working knowledge of one or more trades is necessary, however, the title does not demand journey-level skill for any considerable portion of their time. Work is performed under direct or general supervision of a superior depending upon the nature of the assignment; however, the ability to complete tasks independently is required. General instructions are received regarding routine jobs; detailed instructions will be received on new, unusual or difficult assignments. May supervise the work of maintenance laborers or custodial workers as assigned.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Performs semi-skilled work in masonry, carpentry, electrical, painting and various other building and grounds maintenance operations;
- Repairs windows, doors, floors, walls and other parts of buildings;
- Removes and replaces furniture;
- Does interior and exterior painting;
- Installs and repairs basic electric fixtures, wiring and related equipment;
- Installs and repairs basic general plumbing equipment, such as sinks, water closets and bathtubs;
- Assists in cleaning and repairing boilers, pumps, heaters, pipelines, valves and traps;
- Mixes plaster and concrete and assists in laying brick, plastering walls, finishing concrete work, etc.;
- Takes part in general grounds maintenance activities;
- Installs shelves and storage cabinets;
- Serves as a general handy-person performing a variety of semi-skilled duties;
- May help in estimating time and materials for assigned tasks;
- May assist other trades and outside contractors in installation and construction as required;
- Performs related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Working knowledge of the common practices, tools, terminology and safety precautions of one or more of the mechanical trades;
- Working knowledge of modern buildings and grounds maintenance and repair practices;
- Skill in the operation of manual and power-driven tools;
- Ability to understand and follow directions;
- Ability to get along with others;
- Willingness to work under all weather conditions;
- Mechanical aptitude;
- Manual dexterity;
- Good judgment;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Two (2) years of full-time paid work experience as a helper or laborer in one or more of the mechanical or construction trades; OR
- Two (2) years of full-time paid experience as a maintenance laborer; OR
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience.
SPECIAL NOTE: A valid New York State driver’s license is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment. Employees possessing additional licenses (e.g. a Commercial Driver’s License) may be required to drive any vehicle which they are licensed to drive.
Interested candidates should submit completed applications and resumes directly to:
AHA Career Center:
Albany Housing Authority
200 South Pearl Street
Albany, New York 12202