We are looking for someone to join our team that has the following:
*Excellent organization skills
*Strong written communication skills
*Great mathematics skills
*Can handle large volumes of paperwork, emails and telephone calls
*80% desk work and limited contact with public
*Works in an open team environment
Please see full job description below:
Title: Housing Specialist
Reports To: Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP) Occupancy Manager
Department/Division: Operations/ Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCVP)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Responsible for performing general clerical work and assigned duties pertaining to, and in accordance with, the INLIVIAN’s Housing Choice Voucher Administrative Plan and procedures and in accordance with HUD, federal, local and other applicable laws, rules. The duties listed below illustrate the various types of work that may be performed. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Answers inquiries concerning policies and practices associated to the re-examination processes in a courteous and professional manner or routes/directs inquiries to appropriate staff.
2. Assists in coordinating background information checks of tenants to be recertified. Assists in performing final eligibility verifications.
3. Reviews lease documents for accuracy and completeness prior to execution of leases by authorized personnel.
4. Accurately and timely prepares Form HUD-50058.
5. Collects and review of interim transfer and re-certification information, and coordinates evaluation, verification, and calculation of information and rent for recertification and move-in.
6. Explains rent calculation to participants and assists with completion of recertification materials as assigned. Prepares and sends appropriate notices of rent adjustments in accordance with HUD regulations.
7. Schedules and conducts transfer interviews with participants as assigned, following proper verification methods/processing for each re-examination in accordance with HUD and INLIVIAN policies and procedures. Examines and resolves of income discrepancies as necessary.
8. Accurately, enters data into system, as needed.
9. Reconciles rent and other charges collected throughout the month with appropriate personnel.
10. Reviews participant files/folders and verification forms for accuracy and completeness and accurately inputs data into computer in a timely manner.
11. May compile statistical data and prepare reports related to completed recertification.
12. Searches files for information required by department staff as requested.
13. Ensures privacy and maintains security of confidential materials.
14. Accountable for consistent adherence to strong INLIVIAN standards regarding the ethical, responsible, and appropriate use, care, and safeguarding of INLIVIAN materials, supplies, resources, and other assets.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
High School diploma or possession of a certificate of equivalence of High School Achievement (GED) and one (1) year of relevant experience, plus one (1) to three (3) years’ experience in the housing or social services field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to fulfill essential position functions.
The following Certifications must be obtained within twelve (12) months of employment or other allowable period of hire as authorized by the HCVP Director:
- Housing Choice Voucher
- Enterprise Income Verification System (EIV)
- Rent Calculation
- Fair Housing
Knowledge and Skills
1. Ability to learn federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations and INLIVIAN policies and procedures pertaining to the Housing Choice Voucher program as appropriate to position.
2. Working knowledge of interviewing techniques and record maintenance.
3. Ability to meet and deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
4. Ability to understand and follow moderately complex written and oral instructions, communicate and relate to persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
5. Ability to make routine decisions in accordance with established administrative rules, regulations and policies, to explain the re-examination process to participants in an objective and impartial manner.
6. Working knowledge of the operation of the INLIVIAN’s computer system and applicable software.
7. Knowledge of basic math principles sufficient to perform essential job functions.
8. Ability to prepare clear, concise reports and make appropriate recommendations within scope of responsibility.
9. Ability to use basic office equipment such as telephone, fax, copier, and computer.
10. Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, verbally and in writing.
11. Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees.
12. Ability to deal effectively with situations requiring tact and diplomacy.
The employee receives instructions and supervision from HCVP Recertification’s Manager and the Lead Housing Specialist. The employee receives specific instructions when complaints are brought to the attention of the supervisor, and when the supervisor is contacted by the employee for direction. The employee's work is reviewed frequently and closely for accuracy, conformance to INLIVIAN policies, and attainment of objectives. The Housing Specialist has no supervisory duties.
The employee performs routine duties by following established HUD and INLIVIAN policies and procedures. These guidelines cover most job-related situations and the employee may use independent judgment in making some decisions within established parameters and area of expertise as appropriate to the situation. If guidelines do not cover a situation, the employee normally consults the supervisor. Guidelines are generally specific and clear.
The employee performs a variety of related, routine, and generally repetitive tasks. The course of action is determined by the supervisor and by established procedures. The employee may coordinate, integrate, and/or prioritize tasks.
Scope and Effect
The employee's work affects participant families, managers, other agencies, and other INLIVIAN personnel. The employee's efforts can enhance the INLIVIAN's continuing efforts to provide adequate leased housing to HCVP families on a timely basis and at reasonable rates.
Personal contacts are with all of the above persons and groups. The purpose of such contacts is to obtain and provide information and verify, document and record information submitted by participants, and other INLIVIAN activities.
1. Work is principally sedentary, but may involve some physical exertion, such as kneeling, crouching, or lifting to obtain files, records, and office supplies, and eyestrain from working with computers and other office equipment.
2. Must be able to sit and/or stand for up to eight hours at a time while performing work duties.
3. Must be able to bend, stoop, push, and pull in the performance of office related duties.
4. Must be able to use fingers bilaterally and unilaterally to operate office equipment.
5. Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and clients and perform essential job functions in an environment that will sometimes include increased levels of work-related stress.
6. Must have vision and hearing corrected to be able to operate office equipment and fulfill essential job functions.
7. Must maintain punctuality and attendance as scheduled.
8. An employee may request a reasonable accommodation to mitigate any of the physical requirements listed above.
Work involves the normal risks or discomfort associated with an office environment and is usually in an area that is adequately cooled, heated, lighted, and ventilated.
Must possess a valid State of North Carolina or South Carolina driver’s license and regularly participate in continuous improvement and education. Must work with the highest degree of confidentiality.