SALARY: $20.78 - $23.90 Hourly
CLOSING DATE: 08/10/21 04:30 PM
King County Housing Authority (KCHA), an independent municipal organization, is a high performing nationally recognized leader in affordable housing. KCHA provides innovative and effective housing solutions so that people and communities can prosper. Our vision is that all residents of King County have quality affordable housing. KCHA is the largest housing provider in the county, and annually, the agency serves over 55,000 low-income individuals.
We transform lives through housing.
Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher Department is currently recruiting for a talented, detail oriented and conscientious candidate to fill the Housing Assistant role. Responsibilities for all Housing Assistants include collecting, processing and verifying documentation for clients and stakeholders; contacting third party sources for verifications based on outlined criteria. Additionally, the Housing Assistant will provide customer service and program support in-person, via email, and various written correspondence.
The strongest candidates will bring:
- A desire to provide exceptional customer service as this individual is relied on to respond to questions from owners and participants.
- Excellent communication skills as they will be working directly with our clients and third party agencies.
- An ability to handle a high volume of calls from a switchboard and sort/scan incoming mail and faxes.
- A proven track record of being dependable.
- Experience working with diverse clientele and staff.
- Self-motivated professional with exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail when reviewing information that has been submitted for completeness or determining what documentation will be required based on applicant situations.
The ideal candidate for this role will enjoy interacting with clients, landlords, staff, and many other internal and external stakeholders; will be proficient in the use of systems and tools to maintain organization; and is an exceptional time manager and resourceful in independently addressing and resolving issues as they arise.
- Customer Service: Provides clear and accurate information over the phone or in person to walk-in clients and landlords on housing assistance certification and re-certification requirements; operates a multi-line switchboard, greets clients and answers a variety of inquiries; stocks fliers; copies; files.
- Housing Program Support: Processes files and documentation for annual re-certifications; mails out review letters and packets to landlords, clients and third party sources; determines verifications needed based on family composition, employment, income and related criteria; reports matters of violation detected through data verification to the assigned team.
- General Office & Clerical Support: Uses standard office equipment to prepare copies for files and mailings, maintains records and files in computer; uses office systems to track and do work; creates letters and documents in standard and specialized housing computer systems; responsible for scanning and indexing; completes data entry; logs and returns phone messages.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- High School Diploma or GED AND
- One year of customer service experience OR
- An equivalent combination of experience and education that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience maintaining records (manual and electronic) and performing data entry with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail; ability to consistently and accurately document information and process files.
- Demonstrated success providing customer service over the phone, via email and in person.
- Proficiency using MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and the internet; skill and ability to learn and use agency software programs (Tenmast).
- Ability to work effectively and positively with individuals of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Clearly and effectively communicates both verbally and in writing by actively listening and sharing relevant information.
- Ability to work under stressful situations and manage stress appropriately.
- Excellent organizational skills including prioritizing, keeping track of information or work in progress, ensuring accuracy, and multi-tasking.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a team in a busy office environment while earning the trust, respect and confidence of others.
- Shows willingness to learn new methods, procedures, and techniques.
- Consent to and pass required assessments.
- Consent to and pass criminal records background check.
POSITION INFORMATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
To be considered for this opportunity, you must:
- Complete the online application profile in its entirety.
- Upload a cover letter that addresses how your experience and education qualifies you to perform the essential functions listed in the job announcement. (Cover Letter)
- Upload a detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary range of this position is $20.78 - $23.90 per hour (dependent upon qualifications). Performance based merit increase opportunities and COLAs are reviewed on an annual basis. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance plans, vacation, sick and personal leave, reduced tuition, and retirement benefits are also provided.
Physical Work Environment:
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment. The incumbent frequently uses standard office equipment including personal computers, telephone and related equipment. Considerable filing and copying functions may require relevant physical demands.
King County Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.