The Portsmouth Redevelopment and Housing Authority (PRHA) is a Moving to Work (MTW) Authority and a dedicated member of the Portsmouth community working passionately to provide and manage affordable housing in our area. The duties of the position include a wide range of activities in support of the administration of 2,700 Housing Choice Voucher Program. This includes but not limited to the following vouchers: Mainstream, Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH), Fostering Youth Initiatives (FYI), Family Unification Program (FUP), Emergency Housing (EHV), Tenant Protection (TPV) and Non Elderly Disabled (NED) vouchers. The Assistant Director is responsible for managing the daily activities of a group of housing professionals including overall performance and compliance with HUD rules. Reports to the Director of the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Research regulations for Housing Choice Voucher Program by reviewing the federal regulations, regulatory bulletins, PIH Notices, and other sources of information.
• Serve as a resource for employees to respond to questions on policy, procedures, rules and regulations. To research information and external regulations and laws that may impact policy or compliance.
• Manage the day-to-day auditing process, overseeing the implemented audit plans and conducting the program audits. The specific areas of audit include but are not limited to: audits client’s certifications, re-certifications, and/or interim reviews; audits of Special Programs and other audits as needed.
• Prepare detailed summaries of audit findings that include the corrective actions.
• Ensure monitoring, tracking of error reports for findings and work with employees on correcting the errors so that appropriate actions are taken to avoid similar errors and that responses are submitted in a timely manner.
Annual Re-certifications, Interim Adjustments and Owner Rent Increases
• Monitor overall team compliance by performing quality control reviews, staff productivity, and attendance.
• Responsible for assisting with hiring, training and supervision of Program Assistants and Specialists.
• Ensure accurate and timely 50058 forms are submitted to HUD in 90 percent of all cases.
Customer Service and Files
• Ensure that applicants, participants and landlords are treated in a courteous and professional manner, with phone calls returned promptly and complaints investigated and resolved in a timely manner.
• File logs used to track participant file locations are maintained in an accurate manner so that all files can be located at any time.
• Communicate with applicants, participants, landlords/owners and co-workers in a manner that is courteous and professional.
• Participate in the revision to departmental policies and procedures.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of HUD policies, and other federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations related to low-income housing and Housing Authority policies.
• Knowledge of good public policy practices and procedures.
• Proficient in the use of technology in order to produce HCV programmatic reports; have proven experience with HCV programs and processes (including waitlist management, intake appointments, voucher management, reporting, audits, and determining eligibility) and HUD requirements related to the program; have a strong managerial background; demonstrated strong organization, problem-solving and communication skills; and the ability to work independently interpreting HUD regulations. Certification as a Housing Choice Voucher Program Specialist, Certified Voucher Specialist, or similar a plus.
• Ability to communicate with and relate to persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with participants, landlords and the public.
• Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
• Ability to supervise others effectively and collaboratively, reinforcing good performance and dealing firmly but fairly with less than satisfactory performance.
• Ability to meet both internal and SEMAP program deadlines.
• Ability to plan and prioritize work.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree.
• Three years of progressively responsible positions within a Public Housing Authority with an emphasis on program compliance within the HCV program.
Visit our job board at https://www.prha.org/employment/index.php.