Founded in 1940, the Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority (NRHA) provides low-income families in Norfolk, Virginia with safe and well-maintained housing. It also plans and administers large-scale residential redevelopment programs within Norfolk.
NRHA is an award-winning public housing authority and is designated by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as a high-performer for its assisted housing programs. NRHA has been effective in obtaining private investment partners to fund new neighborhoods; improving low-income public housing; planning and building mixed-income communities; and offering programs that support residents receiving rental assistance on their path to self-sufficiency. NRHA aims to create and apply meaningful – perhaps revolutionary – programs to serve all residents of Norfolk, Virginia.
NRHA looks for people who want to work in a challenging and progressive environment and make a positive difference in the community.
About the Position
NRHA seeks qualified candidates for the position of Asset Zone Manager. The position coordinates asset management and property management for a group (zone) of multiple public housing communities. Acts to assure staff compliance with asset management policies. Manages the formulation and implementation of operational objectives and strategies for the assigned public housing community group. Coordinates the asset management functions for the community zone. Manages the public housing real property portfolio for the assigned zone. Supervises subordinate managerial staff to ensure effective community operations. Administers NRHA programs to assure proper management of communities and maintain security of properties. Establishes and maintains positive relations with residents, promoting positive image of NRHA and community management. Prepares and controls the consolidated annual budget for the community zone; reviews requests for resources; assess deployment of staff and resource needs.
Key responsibilities include:
- Oversees the administration of a group (zone) of multiple public housing communities.
- Manages the formulation and implementation of operational objectives and strategies for the assigned public housing community group.
- Coordinates the asset management functions for the community zone.
- Manages the public housing real property portfolio for the assigned zone.
- Supervises subordinate managerial staff to ensure effective community operations.
- Administers NRHA programs to assure proper management of communities and maintain security of properties.
- Establishes and maintains positive relations with residents, promoting positive image of NRHA and community management.
- Prepares and controls the consolidated annual budget for the community zone; reviews requests for resources; assess deployment of staff and resource needs.
- Assists and counsels residents as appropriate: resolves problems with residents; and refers residents to public assistance services.
- Acts to ensure that rents are collected in a timely and proper manner.
- Participates in assessments of team members, co-workers, and subordinates as appropriate.
- Supports and/or coordinates routine and special activities and programs with residents and other internal and external sources
- Coordinates and monitors internal reports on status of programs and special projects.
- Prepares and responds to inquiries and concerns from residents, other staff, public officials, and the general public.
- Performs a variety of administrative duties: including correspondence; memoranda; reports; maintaining secure files; maintaining and or correcting computer software application problems; modifying reports; forms; manuals; and software training material.
- Develops and administers contracts and special projects.
- Performs other related work as required.
About the Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, or other related field.
- A minimum of nine years of progressively responsible experience in public and/or assisted housing and financial operations; experience must include three years of progressively responsible management experience.
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience necessary to obtain the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Comprehensive and current knowledge of federal, state, and local programs, laws, regulations, and rules related to public housing, Housing Choice Voucher, and related programs.
- Comprehensive knowledge of real property asset management, including but not limited to property acquisition, property disposal, property value enhancement, and property portfolio management.
- Considerable knowledge of accounting and financing method, principles, and techniques.
NRHA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. The current pay range for this position is $52,020.80 minimum to $90,625.60 maximum. The hiring range for this position is $52,020.80 to $71,323.20.
IMPORTANT: Please electronically attach a cover letter citing your qualifications and a resume with your application. The application page will allow you to make the attachment.
Those candidates who are selected for interview will be contacted directly by telephone. All other candidates will receive an email communication after the position is filled.
NRHA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). NRHA does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, political affiliation, affiliation, or any other basis protected by law. NRHA is an e-Verify employer, and reviews the eligibility of each employee to work in the United States. NRHA is a drug- and alcohol-free workplace. All positions require a pre-employment drug screen. NRHA requires a criminal history record review for all positions. NRHA reserves the right to close or withdraw at any time any position it lists or advertises.