The Council of Large Public Housing Authorities is a national non-profit organization that works to preserve and improve public and affordable housing through advocacy, research, policy analysis, and public education.
CLPHA's 70 public housing agency members represent virtually every major metropolitan area in the country. Collectively they manage over 40 percent of the nation's public housing program; administer about one-quarter the Housing Choice Voucher program; and operate a wide array of other housing programs including the innovative Moving-to-Work (MTW) demonstration as well as the Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD). CLPHA’s current priorities include recapitalizing the public housing portfolio, expanding Housing Choice Voucher opportunities and fostering cross-sector partnerships with the health and education sectors to improve life outcomes for low-income households.
ABOUT THE POSITION
CLPHA seeks an experienced Policy Analyst who will be responsible for issues pertaining to the public housing program including operations, management, portfolio repositioning and subsidy transitioning. This includes the Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) program, demolition/dispositions, and voluntary conversions of subsidy. Familiarity with affordable housing development, finance and housing tax credits is preferred. Candidates must be comfortable working in a small-staff environment that encourages the interplay of ideas, be highly team-oriented, and be able to take initiative and work independently.
As CLPHA looks to the future of public housing, we are particularly interested in candidates who are forward-thinking and willing to engage with and help develop innovative new frameworks and ideas for providing affordable housing to the nation’s low-income and most vulnerable populations.
- Analyzing and researching housing legislation, notices, and regulations;
- Developing policy positions, analysis, and materials such as white papers, facts sheets, and testimony;
- Advocating for CLPHA’s positions on housing policy issues before key stakeholders such as HUD, Congressional staff, other government policymakers, and other industry experts; and
- Leading member engagement activities on a regular basis, including calls, webinars, and working groups.
Education & Experience:
A Master’s degree in a related field and 2-5 years of progressively responsible work experience. Preference for candidates with a background in housing policy analysis, administering assisted housing programs, or with a public housing agency.
- Knowledge of or interest in federal, state, and local housing and community development programs, particularly affordable housing programs including public housing, the HCV program, the RAD program and tax credits;
- Knowledge of research, statistical, and analytical methods and processes as applied to policy and data analysis;
- Strong written, oral, and strategic communications skills and ability to communicate complex policy issues for a variety of audiences;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to independently manage simultaneous activities and projects;
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and ability to communicate well and build relationships with CLPHA members; and
- Ability to build working relationships with other key industry partners, including HUD, Congressional staff, other government and professional organizations, and to represent CLPHA at high-level meetings.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
CLPHA offers a competitive salary and benefits package; salary is commensurate with experience. CLPHA is an equal opportunity employer.