DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND PLANNING
(Albany Housing Authority)
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The Director of Policy and Planning will work with senior staff and stakeholders to identify and define high-priority initiatives, leads projects that advance key policy goals ,conducts program and financial feasibility analytics, and conducts internal engagements that improve the Albany Housing Authority’s (AHA) programs and developments. The Director of Policy and Planning will work with and provide guidance to the development team and track progress of development goals for real estate development deals including RAD, Section 8 property conversion and work under the direction of the Executive Director to set and reach targets. The Director of Policy and Planning will interface with and convenes key external stakeholders on partnership initiatives. Terms and scope of this job description are subject to changed and pending Civil Service approval.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative Only)
- Responsible for the oversight on all matters related to authority-wide initiatives and real estate development initiatives.
- Responsible for the design and execution of data collection and statistical analyses in support of AHA’s programming and policy agenda, as well as various analyses of City of Albany, NY population and housing stock.
- Manages the work of leadership staff in housing programs and administration.
- Provides ongoing analysis and critique of existing systems and reviews and evaluates departmental methods and procedures; work with the department leaders to identify change management areas where the Authority can increase its effectiveness.
- Work in concert with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to manage budget planning and performance in assigned program areas. Analyzes and interprets legislation and governmental directives relevant to departmental policy; develops and recommends policy changes.
- Provides strategic oversight of Authority community outreach initiatives, coordinates with Community staff to identify community needs and opportunities.
- Meets or coordinates meetings with residents, neighborhood groups, civic associations, city, state, and federal agencies, and other relevant entities to explain Housing Authority programs, policies, and operations.
- Stays abreast of all AHA program matters through careful study of HUD regulations, laws, ordinances, and publications related to the specific programs and disseminates information.
- Ensure frequent and open flow of communication of agency policy priorities and expectations to AHA leadership, staff and external partners.
- Coordinate senior staff on intra-agency projects Act as a problem solver by providing workable solutions to keep projects on time and within budget.
- Work with and provide guidance to the Development team to ensure all aspects of development are met.
- Research, analyze data, and produce reports on a variety of topics related to housing development or agency-wide policy
- Assist with the management of project-related contracts, budget and procurement as needed or directed.
- Provide regular project updates and briefing materials for executive leadership.
- Work with stakeholders to help ensure business needs and objectives are being met through project work as appropriate.
- Assist in building and maintaining detailed financial models for spending on funded initiatives and real estate development projects.
- Assist in determining financial feasibility of proposed projects and prepared recommendations for the Executive Director.
- Act in the capacity of the Executive Director in their absence
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills in dealing with residents, commissioners, community partners, elected officials, city, state, and federal partners.
- Ability to cultivate a positive work environment and inspire staff to the highest levels of excellence.
- Expertise forging strategic partnerships in the public and private sectors.
- Keen analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- A competent working knowledge of public housing software programs/systems, HUD systems, business applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, etc.), and the internet.
- Experience in affordable housing development using tax credits, tax exempt bonds, private placement financing, etc.
- Knowledge of local housing markets, government and community participation.
- Knowledge of federal housing programs and guidelines for grant applications, as well as pertinent knowledge of federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
- The ideal candidate will be a strong leader with vision and integrity who will be able to secure and direct resources to meet the long-term goal of sustaining AHA’s performance.
- Widely recognized for industry expertise and leadership.
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or university or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Bachelor’s degree in Public or Business Administration, Management, or closely related field.
- A minimum of six (6) to eight (8) years progressively responsible administrative or management experience, with three (3) years in public management desired.
- Computer proficiency in Windows operating system and MS Office software including Word and Excel. Able to operate Internet applications and email, as well as external vendors’ and proprietary software programs.
- A valid New York State driver’s license is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment.
- Public Housing Manager (PHM) certification is required. Qualified candidates will be required to meet the PHM requirement by obtaining certification within six months of employment.
- Housing Choice Voucher (VPM) certification is required. Qualified candidates will be required to meet the VPM requirement by obtaining certification within six months of employment.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Expires: Until Filled
Interested candidates should submit completed applications and resumes directly to:
AHA Career Center:
Or in person at
200 South Pearl Street
Albany, NY 12202
Attn: Human Resources