The Vancouver Housing Authority provides affordable housing and housing assistance for more than 12,000 residents of Clark County, Washington. In addition to affordable housing, the VHA’s community development activities also shape the lives of the people and neighborhood we serve.
Our mission is to provide opportunities to people who experience barriers to housing because of income, disability, or special needs in an environment which preserves personal dignity, and in a manner which maintains the public trust.
In carrying out our mission, we committed to: vital neighborhoods, respect for VHA clients and employees, excellence in management and operations, cooperative and respectful working relationships with the public, neighborhood and community organizations, other units of local government, and dispersal of assisted housing throughout Clark County
The Director of Development functions as a senior member of the management team and supports the Vancouver Housing Authority’s (VHA) strategic and operational objectives in the following ways: To direct, manage, supervise and coordinate the agency’s efforts to acquire, construct and substantially renovate affordable housing properties and to assist in the implementation of moderate improvements identified in annual property needs assessments that align with the VHA’s mission and values; To conceptualize and implement complex real estate projects or initiates, and to ensure such projects are administered and completed according to established guidelines.
This is a new position combining the oversite of the development project funding and site acquisition activities with construction project management. The position supervises eight employees who report up to the Director of Development through a Development Projects Manager and Construction Manager. Currently we have multiple projects that are in the que that include rehabilitation and new construction.
The Director will manage, direct, and oversee strategic planning activities. Participates in the development, administration, and monitoring of the department budget. Construction projects will be internally managed and in some cases, third party construction management firms will be utilized. Director will ensure contract and construction compliance is being met with internal and third party construction projects. This positon will be tasked with the review, design, and implementation of a construction project tracking system to encompass best practices, as well as, effective and efficient outcomes.
A successful candidate will have knowledge of:
- Affordable housing financing tools including LIHTC, Housing Trust Fund, FHA loan products, Project Based HAP contracts, CDBG, HOME, bond programs, etc. Familiarity with compliance and regulatory requirements of various sources.
- Contract types, including wage rate requirements and monitoring responsibilities
- Principles and practices of real estate finance and development.
- Grant writing, development and operating budgets, and real estate transactions.
As well as the ability to:
- Structure complex financing packages and present them in standardized development and operating pro-formas.
- Prepare competitive funding applications.
- Manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Manage complex and time-critical processes, funding requirements and relationships to complete projects on time and on budget.
- Select, contract with and manage consultants and development teams
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, finance, urban planning, business administration, real estate development, planning and public policy, or a related field or equivalent.
- Eight to ten (8-10) years related experience in affordable housing and land development, public finance of affordable housing and community development, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five (5) years’ experience in organizational administration including management, strategic planning, budgeting, financial management, and personnel and operations management.
- Skilled in maintaining customer and partner relations, oral and written communication, and problem solving.
- Public agency experience strongly preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and access to automobile required.
Visit our website at www.vhausa.com under About/Careers at VHA or at https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/306969/Vancouver-Housing-Authority/Development-Director. A cover letter and resume will be required. For questions about this position email our HR department email@example.com. Please note, those candidates deemed to best match our requirements will be contacted for an interview. We do not discuss application status during the selection process. Applications will be reviewed as they come in.