DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Under the general supervision of a Senior Asset Manager, the incumbent performs of a variety of tasks related to the effective and efficient management of various types of Albany Housing Authority owned or managed affordable housing. The primary role of this position is to assure the continuing marketability of the property and the protection of the assets by providing on-site accountability. The incumbent provides front-line management in a housing development by performing operational functions in the coordination of on-site construction, painting, carpentry, electricity, landscaping, and debris removal and delivery of goods/services for properties. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for maintaining rental units, ensuring the buildings or units are in good physical condition, ensuring the rental units lease availability is within a reasonable time frame and tenants are maintaining the properties pursuant to guidelines. The position receives instruction from a Senior Asset Manager on the compilation and preparation of financial reporting needs, assessment and budgeting. It is front-line management as opposed to the senior management level of responsibility associated with a Senior Asset Manager who is charged with a larger portfolio of properties and support staff.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Supports the maintenance of occupancy goals by successfully managing the turnover and leasing of apartments and assuring timely and accurate compilation of all required documentation;
- Reviews reports from the accounting and maintenance budgeting system to track and ensure effective management, preparation of financial reports and budgets;
- Prepares reports on tenant operations and tenant account records;
- Acquaints new residents with the policies and procedures that apply to their tenancy;
- Provides orientation and instructions concerning proper operation and maintenance of apartment fixtures, appliances, health and safety issues and related concerns;
- Takes all necessary steps to assure quality customer relations in the delivery of the best possible services and products;
- Performs regular inspections and assures maximum advantage is taken of all opportunities to assess the condition of the rental units under their control;
- Applies sustained and diligent effort to assure fair and consistent lease enforcement;
- Walks the property frequently and inspects the apartments, at least annually, to note any deficiencies and take corrective action in a timely manner;
- Monitors work demands and controls/assigns work to assure maximum production, productivity and work quality of maintenance personnel;
- Assures and verifies adequate skill levels and professional performance of these individuals and takes corrective action as necessary;
- Generates and reviews all electronic management data as instructed by senior staff and assures that it is practically applied to optimize the value and efficacy of the information provided;
- Prepares additional reports as required;
- Responds to all telephone and other communications promptly, courteously and professionally;
- Collaborates with other on-site and administrative personnel in preparation for and attendance at property resident functions;
- Coordinates the work of independent contractors to ensure compliance with bid specifications;
- Assists, as requested, in the process of maximizing rent collections and supporting timely and properly assessed charges for tenant neglect or abuse of Authority property. May be required to assist in the legal process of pursuing non-payment actions;
- Makes recommendations on the physical needs of the property to senior staff;
- Devises and implements adequate controls and provides necessary oversight to assure accurate and accountable site-based material and equipment inventory;
- Handles and resolves complaints;
- Attends meetings with Senior Asset Manager and the fiscal department for the purpose of participating in the budgetary activities and future plans for assigned development;
- Enters and retrieves information in an automated information system;
- Performs related work as required.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Thorough understanding of customer service principles along with working knowledge of budgets, financial statements and contracts;
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices of effective real estate management and maintenance;
- Good knowledge of real estate management and operational maintenance in various types of rental properties;
- Good knowledge of personal computers and office equipment;
- Working knowledge of office terminology, business mathematics, basic business practices and English;
- Ability to effectively and efficiently plan, control and direct day to day operations of the property along with preserving and increasing the value and integrity of the property;
- Strong communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal communication and supervisory skills.
- Ability and willingness to follow verbal and written instructions, policies and procedures; and familiarity with applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations
- Ability to function effectively in a marketing and customer service environment;
- Ability to effectively convey ideas, images and goals to a diverse population;
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems;
- Basic computer skills;
- Sound judgment;
- Tact and courtesy;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or university or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Business Administration, Public Administration or related field and one year fulltime paid experience in large scale property management or maintenance; OR
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or one accredited by the NYS Board of Regents to grant degrees with an Associate’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or related field and three (3) years fulltime paid experience in large scale property management or maintenance OR
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and five (5) years full time paid experience as defined by the limits of (B) above.
A valid NYS Driver’s License is required at the time of appointment and for the duration of employment. The terms of employment require the use of an employee’s vehicle for transportation (subject to mileage reimbursement at the IRS allowable rate).
Eligibility for certification as a Public Housing Manager (PHM) under HUD Regs. No. 24CFR Part 867. Possession of certification must be obtained within twelve (12) months of time upon appointment to the position or at the next available opportunity.
AHA Career Center:
Or in person at
200 South Pearl Street
Albany, NY 12202
Attn: Personnel Department