As the second largest housing authority in the state of Indiana, the Fort Wayne Housing Authority has been a high performer for several years for both its Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher Programs and is currently pursuing both RAD and MTW initiatives. Our success is a result of our organization and employees embodying and supporting a growth mindset culture. FWHA is seeking a VP of Operations who desires the opportunity to fully utilize and hone their leadership potential in order to fulfill FWHA’s mission.
The primary purpose of this position is to direct and implement strategies, policies, and practices that maximize the organization’s key programs and general operations. Communicating strategy and policies to employees to foster employee alignment with organization’s goals and mission is crucial. The incumbent is responsible for interpreting federal, state, and local regulations regarding the implementation of programs, and makes policy recommendations to ensure departmental compliance.
All activities must support the Fort Wayne Housing Authority (“FWHA” or “Authority”) mission, strategic goals, and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The position duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work. Other responsibilities, duties, and skills may be required and assigned, as needed.
- Lead employees to encourage maximum performance and dedication by setting comprehensive goals for performance and growth, hold continuous conversations, provide development and recognition.
- Leads other leaders to ensure alignment with culture, strategy and direction.
- Establish policies and procedures that supports a positive employee experience.
- Operations includes the leading of the Housing Choice Voucher Program, Social Services, Contract & Procurement Programs, Information Technology and Risk Management includes planning, organizing, coordinating, monitoring, and implementing programs to ensure that the all functions are conducted in an efficient manner in accordance with federal, state, local, Authority, and HUD rules and regulations.
- Works closely with the CEO to establish short-term, and long-term department goals based on new or revised Authority goals, federal, state or local regulations and statutes; recommends, develops, and implements changes to policies based on revisions.
- Provides assistance and direction in the development and administration of the annual budget; monitors activity on a continuous basis to ensure no unexpected variances. Assures that obligations and costs are in compliance with applicable laws.
- Ensures HUD performance standards and other reporting requirements are maintained at high performance level and/or improved if required.
- Evaluate performance by analyzing and interpreting data and metrics. Communicating results, variances, gaps and recommendations to the CEO.
- Manage relationships with partners and vendors.
- Represents the Housing Authority when meeting with elected officials, private landlords, housing advocacy groups and organizations, community associations, and other agencies.
- Identifies techniques and strategies for maximizing administrative efficiency and performance.
- Analyzes operational issues and recommends solutions; assists with handling all matters of crisis for the Authority.
- Stays abreast of federal, state, and local laws; implements changes as needed to maintain compliance.
- Interacts with governmental and elected officials, attends meetings, and represents the Authority as needed.
- Promote FWHA brand awareness by adhering to FWHA brand standards and ensure that any communication regarding the public value of affordable housing programs offered by FWHA also addresses the many other public values served (fair housing, economic development, welfare-to-work, etc.)
- If requested, may serve as the CEO’s designee.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
Job Knowledge: Exhibits requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the position effectively. Demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, goals, objectives, operational entities, requirements, and activities as they apply to the assigned organizational entity of the Authority; uses appropriate judgment & decision making in accordance with level of responsibility.
Growth Mindset: Ensures a culture of trust and psychological safety. Encourages diverse perspectives and views; Coaches others to challenge self, learn from failures and continuously learn. Focuses on own self development. Provides real time feedback. Recognizes curiosity, adaptability and resilience.
Initiative: Proactively seeks solutions to resolve unexpected challenges. Actively assists others without formal/informal direction. Possesses the capacity to learn and actively seeks developmental feedback. Applies feedback for continued growth by mastering concepts needed to perform work.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; and persists despite obstacles and opposition
Professional Behavior: Exhibits positive, polite, courteous, honest, and conscientious behavior with all internal/external clients. Accepts responsibility for actions and adjusts behavior as appropriate.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself personally responsible for one's own work; and does fair share of work
Reliability & Judgment: Employee demonstrates sound reasoning and critical thinking by making decisions in line with established Agency expectations. Performs work in a reliable manner that is both accurate and timely.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's Degree in business administration, public administration, or related field and a minimum of 7 years’ experience in public and/or assisted housing, with a minimum of 3 years' leading a major program in a supervisory capacity. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Must possess a valid Indiana driver’s license and be insurable under the Authority’s plan.
To perform this job successfully, the employee should have strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, and Outlook). Must have the ability to learn other computer software programs as required by assigned tasks. Must obtain certification as a HCV/Section 8 Housing Manager within 1 year of employment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To perform this job successfully, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position. Daily movements include sitting; standing; operating computers and other office equipment; moving about the office; and attending onsite and offsite meetings. The employee must be able to communicate via email and verbally via telephone. The employee must occasionally transport up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com by April 30, 2019.
FWHA is an Equal Opportunity employer and, as such, is committed in policy and practice to recruit, hire, compensate, train and promote, in all job classifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, veterans status, or genetic information. Applicants are evaluated on the basis of job qualifications.
If you are a person with a disability that impedes your ability to express your interest for a position through our online application process, or require TTY/TDD assistance, contact us by calling 260-602-9115.