SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF RESIDENT SERVICES
FOSTER CITY, CA
ABOUT MIDPEN HOUSING
MidPen Housing (“MidPen”) is a non-profit organization that develops high-quality affordable housing communities, professionally manages the properties in those communities, and provides services to residents. The three affiliated corporations are MidPen Housing Corporation, MidPen Property Management Corporation, and MidPen Resident Services Corporation.
Our mission is to provide safe, affordable housing of high quality to those in need; to establish stability and opportunity in the lives of residents; and to foster diverse communities that allow people from all ethnic, social and economic backgrounds to live in dignity, harmony and mutual respect.
We have established a list of core values which guide our work and culture: how we treat one another, our residents and our partners. We believe that upholding these values will help MidPen achieve operational excellence and will create an environment where employees feel valued and inspired to their best work. Our values are Integrity, Collaboration, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence (ICARE).
MidPen Housing associates advance a culture of belonging, inclusion, diversity, and equity to effectively bridge across differences that are representative of the communities we serve. We seek to have a high performing, inclusive, and engaged workforce that is centered around constant learning.
MidPen’s services currently include four strategic programs: Afterschool Program, Family Services Program, Senior Services Program, and Supportive Housing Program.
- The After-School Program channels significant resources and expertise to meet the challenges that our young residents may face to stay in school and perform at grade-level.
- The Family Services Program supports working-age adults build resources, better manage their assets, and build a brighter future for themselves and their families.
- The Senior Services Program helps seniors age in place better their access to healthcare, greatly reduce their risk of falls and injuries, and increase their quality of life. MidPen partners with nursing schools, medical groups, and healthcare organizations for select onsite services, such as health screenings and balance therapy.
- The Supportive Housing Program is for residents who face unique challenges because of mental illness, substance use, or other factors that could result in homelessness. The resident services staff also regularly makes referrals to needed community resources including an extensive network of community-based nonprofit and governmental partners.
For more information on MidPen Housing please visit www.midpen-housing.org.
MidPen is seeking a dynamic and visionary leader to serve as Senior Vice President of Resident Services (“SVP of Resident Services”). This is a unique opportunity for a high energy leader who is deeply committed to those in need to help take MidPen’s programs to the next level. The SVP of Resident Services is responsible for creating and executing the overall vision to enable proactive expansion and deepening of programs which strengthen and preserve families who reside in MidPen’s communities. This leader will be politically astute in understanding that collaboration is a cornerstone of MidPen, and that the key to collaboration is understanding how to collaborate and build relationships with individuals, departments and across the organization.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the SVP of Resident Services will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for all of MidPen’s Resident Services program areas. This position is an integral member of the Executive Team; executing programmatic strategy and driving a highly collegial, collaborative, mission-driven environment guided by intelligent business metrics and accountability. The SVP of Resident Services has a dedicated and talented team of 4 direct reports, oversees approximately 80+ FTEs, and manages an annual budget of approximately $7 million. Additionally, the SVP of Resident Services will proactively seek strategic partnerships to advance the mission of MidPen while increasing the impact with the communities it serves.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a leadership role in a sophisticated and heavily mission-driven organization seeking aggressive growth targets. This exciting stage in MidPen’s trajectory offers the new SVP of Resident Services the chance to be bold and entrepreneurial and to do innovative and impactful work for vulnerable communities.
Organization Development: Sets Strategic Direction and develops effective Programs and Policies:
- Works with COO to cultivate opportunities which create and sustain positive impact as well as continuous growth through the programs and services MidPen provides.
- Assesses resident needs and develops strategic and operational plans for the delivery of services and programs to meet those needs.
- Develops, plans and implements programs system-wide with measurable performance indicators and outcome measurements.
- Establishes performance standards for all properties providing services, and designs policies that facilitate achieving those standards.
- Develops services delivery partnerships with community agencies, including schools, city and county social service agencies, and other nonprofits to bring additional services to MidPen residents.
- Identifies investment opportunities and partners with the Services Committee and the Board of Directors to prepare proposals for Board level review.Works with the Services Committee leadership to expand advisory membership on the Services Committee.
- Develops and executes an effective talent management strategy to support planned growth and new initiative implementation.
- Provides effective and inspiring leadership by being actively involved in all programs and services, developing a broad and deep knowledge of all programs.
- Manages, leads and develops a high performing program and services team, knowledgeable about current strategies, opportunities and expected outcomes.
- Researches and executes new program development and works across departments to communicate and secure funding opportunities.
- Designs, implements and monitors programs to assure qualitative and quantitative achievements of objectives and to ensure maximum utilization of resources.
- Ensure consistency and accuracy of data collection to validate program success through the achievement of identified outcomes.
- Collaborate with Executive Team members including the Senior Vice President of Property Management and the Chief Real Estate Development Officer to deliver high quality service programs to MidPen’s residents focused on retention of housing, building financial strengths, and positive health outcomes.
- Mentors and develops staff using a supportive and collaborative approach; assigns accountabilities; sets objectives; establishes priorities; and monitors and evaluates performance and development results. Utilizes deep program experience, strategy, and team oriented management to harness and benefit from the unique skills each team member brings to MidPen housings’ mission.
- Demonstrates and fosters an adaptable, high performing culture based on intra and inter departmental collaboration, shares knowledge, has transparent communication, accountable and committed to the highest ethical standards in programs and services to the residents.
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement which values learning and commitment to quality.
- Ensure staff members receive training and development in a timely and appropriate manner.
External Relationship Development:
- Manages and cultivates existing relationships with partners and funders to expand programmatic opportunities and revenue streams.
- Establishes and promotes external relations to advance cooperation and ensure maximized benefits are provided to MidPen’s programs and operations.
- Publicly represents MidPen with external constituency groups including community, governmental, and private organizations; building excitement for MidPen’s mission when a new opportunity is identified.
- Represents MidPen at various industry forums, conferences and other opportunities for leadership in the affordable housing industry.
- Coordinates grant writing/fundraising efforts to facilitate service program and budget requirements.
- Oversees the design and implementation of MidPen’s Volunteer Program (both for external and employee volunteers).
Oversees Financial Administration:
- Develops and monitors budgets for the Services Company.
- Negotiates contracts for services. Prepares agreements with outside agencies for services.
The SVP of Resident Services will be passionate and business savvy, with a track record of achievement in previous leadership roles. This individual will have a strong capacity for designing, developing, and leading social services programs, and will have the credibility to build deep and abiding trust with the organization’s constituents. This individual will be a confident and effective communicator with the ability to speak persuasively to MidPen’s mission and programmatic vision. The SVP of Resident Services will be resourceful and nimble when addressing any challenges in order to increase programmatic impact.
The successful candidate will bring at least seven to ten years of management experience as a leader and/or supervisor of a department or organization, and seven years of experience in program design, development, and implementation in a social services or similar environment. A Bachelor’s degree is required for this position; an advanced degree in administration, social work, or business concentration is preferred. The successful candidate will be willing and able to travel extensively between housing sites located in 10 counties from Monterey to Napa.
Ideal candidates will have the following personal competencies and characteristics:
Strategic and Visionary Program Leadership: The SVP of Resident Services must be a strategic leader and visionary thinker who will have the drive and passion to continue to develop new and unique programmatic opportunities to serve the mission of MidPen. The SVP of Resident Services will have a demonstrated ability to design, create, implement, and manage social services programs to serve low-income families, seniors, or individuals and will possess the ability to assess participants’ needs, define measurable results, and to implement good business principles in the operation of the services program. With a strategic mindset, the SVP of Resident Services will imagine future opportunities and translate these ideas into actions. Serving as an advocate for MidPen Services, this individual will develop a compelling vision and strategy, gain buy-in and drive programmatic goals, and create innovative partnerships for the benefit of the communities served.
Management and Business Acumen: An inspiring, transparent, and unifying manager with a shared leadership style, the SVP of Resident Services will build trust with staff and set key performance indicators and goals. Valuing ongoing learning and development, this individual will be outcomes driven and will demonstrate the ability to build, nurture, and retain a strong team of diverse professionals, creating a culture of accountability. Possessing organizational savvy, the SVP of Resident Services will maneuver comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related dynamics and build strong relationships across departmental lines.
This business-minded leader will understand and implement best-in-class nonprofit management practices, ensuring that overall day-to-day programmatic operations are streamlined and aligned with strategic goals. The SVP of Resident Services will use excellent budgetary planning and management skills to ensure sound financial management practices and accountability are maintained across programs. This individual will excel at building the infrastructure and implementing the standardized systems, policies, and procedures required to execute a strategic programmatic vision for MidPen.
Exceptional Communication; Collaboration and Relationship-Building: The SVP of Resident Services will be an exceptional communicator and an engaged and active listener. This open and inclusive leader will be effective at building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization and will endeavor to connect and build bridges with a wide range of existing and potential partners. This individual will be able to relay the value of MidPen’s services to potential funders, and develop clear outcomes and metrics for programmatic impact to secure revenue. The SVP of Resident Services will have a demonstrated appreciation for teamwork and the ability to facilitate collaboration with a culturally diverse group.
Passion for the Mission and Vision: The SVP of Resident Services will have authentic passion for MidPen’s mission of helping people from all ethnic, social and economic backgrounds to live in dignity, harmony and mutual respect. This inclusive leader will embody MidPen’s values of integrity, collaboration, accountability, respect, and excellence and will continually strive for improvement as an active participant in MidPen’s learning culture.
MidPen Housing has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. This search is being led by Michelle Bonoan and Medelene Beasley. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here, or email Michelle and Medelene at the following:
Michelle R.S. Bonoan
MidPen Housing is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.
ABOUT KOYA LEADERSHIP PARTNERS
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital-consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.