The Rental Housing Administrator leads Virginia Beach Housing and Neighborhood Preservation’s (VBHNP) Rental Housing division in its mission to provide housing stability to low-income households, and to expand affordable housing opportunities, through the provision of various types of rental subsidies – primarily through the federal Housing Choice Voucher program (HCV).
The division utilizes more than $22 million in annual funding to connect over 2,500 households to safe, decent and affordable housing. The administrator will oversee a staff of about 24, which includes housing specialists, administrative staff and two supervisors. The Rental Housing administrator and staff work closely with department's finance, code enforcement/inspections, homeless services, and director’s office staff; HUD; other city departments; and landlords to enable and ensure rental subsidies are provided to eligible households on an equitable basis efficiently and effectively.
We are seeking the following skills and qualities in a new administrator:
- A people person who can listen well, enjoys interacting with a wide variety of people, is able to relate effectively to everyone, create a work environment that is consistent with the city’s values and goals, and who can lead people to carry out a mission.
- A skilled administrator who can organize and manage multiple ongoing tasks and projects; organize and create accurate and complete plans and documents; able to deescalate difficult situations and deal with crises in a professional manner; and meet deadlines and help others meet deadlines.
- A person who is highly knowledgeable about federal housing programs, the provision of rental subsidies and specifically the Housing Choice Voucher program.
- A person who understands and can manage a budget and understand financial principles and practices.
- A person who can envision and, over time, implement an expanded role for the program in helping people achieve self-sufficiency and no longer need the HCV program, so that other households can be assisted.
- A person who understands and can facilitate process improvement and is interested in creating ongoing positive change through learning.
For more information and to apply, click here.