GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Performs responsible skilled work in one or more of the building trades in HVAC, the maintenance, renovation and repair of buildings, building equipment, grounds and grounds equipment or fixtures, specializing in general maintenance. Work assignments are performed under the general supervision of the Property Manager or the Maintenance Supervisor; may be assigned limited supervisory duties over support and employees.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative Only)
- Performs a variety of maintenance tasks and general repairs in one or more of the building trades specializing in one or more crafts, such as the installation of downspouts, guttering and minor roof repairs and repair of windows, window screens and storm doors.
- Install and repair kitchen cabinets, sinks and hang doors.
- Performs plaster and drywall repairs and performs other carpentry work.
- Performs mechanical, minor plumbing, electrical repairs and paint preparations and operations.
- Repairs furnaces, heat pumps and other heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment.
- Participates in preventive maintenance and emergency repair and new construction.
- Completes work performance documents, i.e. work requests and man-hour accounting forms.
- Plans and schedules work and estimates type and amount of materials needed in the performance of work.
- Troubleshoots a variety of maintenance problems.
- Maintains equipment in clean and orderly condition.
- Performs general custodial duties.
- Observes all safety rules and regulations.
- Job duties, responsibilities, specifications, and other job aspects may be changed as needed; performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of common methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the building trades.
- Working knowledge of Geo Thermal, Heat Pumps, Air-to-Air and Water-to-Air heating and air conditioning systems.
- Knowledge of applicable code requirements for various crafts.
- Ability to install compressors, “change out” condenser units and air handlers and all other aspects of HVAC.
- Ability to work from plans and specifications
- Ability to deliver maintenance services specifically related to the manufacture and/or installation of guttering, downspouts, screen doors, windows, roof repair and aluminum siding.
- Must be familiar with the use of maintenance equipment, hand and power tools and equipment of the trade and ability to instruct others in the same.
- Ability to execute an annual preventive maintenance program for housing communities.
- Must provide personal hand tools and care for tools and equipment of the trades.
- Dependability in attendance and ability to execute work assignments diligently and conscientiously without close supervision; work independently in the absence of specific instructions and under pressure and with time restraints.
- Must have the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and to communicate clearly and show good judgment according to Authority policies and procedures.
- Ability to interact effectively, professionally and with courtesy with staff, co-workers, residents and the public.
- Promote a positive image of the Authority by establishing and maintaining to the greatest extent possible a viable and positive working relationship with co-workers, local agencies and all appropriate agencies of the City with which the Authority may come into contact.
- Must be available to work during emergencies and other unscheduled working hours and must be accessible, preferably by telephone, by pager or other effective means.
- Employee’s medical competency to wear a respirator while performing certain jobs is required; beard may have to be shaved.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to allow operation of a variety of maintenance power equipment and tools.
- Ability to lift, reach, pull or push supplies and equipment up to a weight of 50 pounds.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, bend, stretch, crawl and climb a ladder, etc.
- Ability to physically access apartment dwellings.
- Ability to perform job assignments in inclement weather.
- Ability to move, carry and/or operate objects and materials such as pencils, legal pads, etc.
- Ability to operate an automobile and must be insurable by an automobile insurance carrier and possess and maintain a valid driver’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia throughout the duration of employment.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
Any combination of education equivalent to graduation from high school or vocational or technical study in one or more of the building trades. Four (4) years’ experience in one or more of the building, mechanical and HVAC trades and certificate of training in repair of heating and air conditioning systems and Universal EPA Certification in HVAC required.
Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org