Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, manages and controls the operational functions and policies of the JCHA’s accounting system, specifically the General Ledger and all subsidiary ledgers associated with the JCHA’s Federal, State, and Local Programs. Also is responsible for the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial statements, maintenance of accounting records, preparation of internal and external financial reports, cash management, and supervision of staff in an accounting unit; does related work as required.
All activities must support the Jersey City Housing Authority (JCHA) mission, values and strategic goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This list is not limited nor is it an all-inclusive listing of the responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manages the General Ledger process including the operation and reconciling of all program accounts utilizing the in-house JCHA software program.
- Reviews monthly financial transactions and records to ensure that concerned regulations and accounting procedures are observed.
- Compiles complex financial and other statements and reports on a monthly basis or as required by grant agreements and JCHA staff.
- Schedules and approves all balance sheet and general ledger reconciliations and reviews all statistical and financial results.
- May recommend, assign and/or supervise the work of accounting staff.
- Assists in the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Insures that the accounting records are maintained in accordance with program and reporting requirements.
- Reviews disbursements and controls for adherence to contractual obligations.
- Prepares detailed project-based accounting reports containing findings, conclusions and recommendations.
- Maintains all supporting records and files for audit purposes.
- Analyzes raw utility consumption data.
- Performs cash management duties as required.
- Responsible for the preparation of the year-end financial statements for submission to HUD as required.
- Identifies and evaluates actual or potential problem areas, trends, significant program deficiencies and similar factors. Recommends alternative or corrective actions and participates in the development and implementation of programs and procedures.
- Develops charts, spreadsheets and schedules as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
- Reviews and updates internal accounting policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Prepares correspondence to Federal, State, and Local authorities as appropriate.
- Maintains fixed asset files.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree major in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance. Requirement of twenty-one (21) semester hour credits in professional accounting subjects.
- Six (6) years of professional accounting or auditing experience.
- Possession of a valid certificate as a Certified Public Accountant is preferred.
- Experience in HUD accounting for a medium to large PHA is preferred, as well as experience/knowledge of the finance and accounting involved with some or all of HUD’s Programs (e.g., HOPE VI, Capital, Housing Voucher, Choice Neighborhoods, Moving To Work and RAD Programs).
- Supervisory experience in a similar accounting unit with emphasis on quality control of the general ledger process.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, methods and procedures used in modern accounting; laws, regulations governing the installation, operation and maintaining of accounts and their application to specific situations; preparation of involved and detailed accounting and other financial reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Ability to analyze accounting problems; organize and assign work; develop effective work methods for staff; see that the prescribed accounting procedures are followed; provide technical advice and assistance to accounting staff; review and revise established accounting methods and procedures; take and maintain a firm and correct stand when difference of opinion, interpretation, and fact arise; give suitable assignments and instructions; prepare detailed accounting and other financial reports containing findings, conclusions and recommendations; and present effective reports
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, goal-driven and ability to remain calm under pressure
- Ability to effectively delegate work and direct and supervise other accounting staff.
- Ability to communicate professionally with other JCHA staff, JCHA residents, local/state/federal agencies and a variety of third parties, including various private sector parties. Strong interpersonal skills for a productive collaboration with other departments and/or other team members.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in the processing of financial data.
- Ability to understand and apply the principles of HUD’s asset management model to JCHA accounting operations.
- Ability to draft the Financial Data Schedule (FDS) for input to HUD.
- Demonstrate advanced skill level in Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint).
Note: “Effective September 1, 2011, all employees of State and local government must reside in the State of New Jersey, unless exempted under the law. If you already work for State or local government as of September 1, 2011, and you do not live in New Jersey, you are not required to move to New Jersey. However, if you begin your office, position or employment on September 1, 2011 or later, you must reside in New Jersey. If you do not reside in New Jersey, you have one year after the date you take your office, position or employment to relocate your residence to New Jersey. If you do not do so, you are subject to removal from your office, position or employment.”
Qualified applicants may email resume and cover letter with salary requirements to : HR@jcha.us or Fax to: 201-547-6653
OR mail to: Office of Human Resources, Jersey City Housin g Authority, 400 U.S. Highway 1, Jersey City, NJ 07306
Please visit our website for more information about our organization, and for an employment application: jerseycityha.org