This position is responsible for performing various tasks in ensuring design, construction, modernization, and related efforts comply with related laws and regulations. Responsibilities may include reviewing plans and specifications; performing inspections; and coordinating contractor work.
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
(These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.
- Manages construction projects to ensure the project is delivered on time and within budget. Creates cost estimates, suggests value engineering options and other options to keep project within budget.
- Reviews construction, architectural, engineering, and related plans and specifications to prevent conflicts with existing sites, ensure feasibility of plans, and/or ensure compliance with laws and regulations.
- Performs inspections of rehab work of vacant housing units, high rise buildings, construction sites, and/or related areas to ensure compliance with quality, development, and related standards.
- Coordinates contractor work, including: coordinating architectural and/or engineering tasks related to design, construction, and/or modernization of housing to ensure compliance with contracts, schedules, and budgets; and coordinating site access for contractors.
- Develops and implements design and construction standards.
- Coordinates and monitors asbestos and lead abatement activities; eliminates potential asthma triggers in buildings.
- Responds to diggers hotline requests, including: determining if locations are valid; determining if locations include private buried utilities; and performing related tasks.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level
KNOWLEDGE (position requirements at entry):
- Applicable state and local laws, rules, and regulations;
- Building design and construction principles;
- Contract requirements;
- Construction plans and specifications;
- Budgeting principles.
SKILLS (position requirements at entry):
- Managing people and contractors to complete projects on time and within budget;
- Reviewing plans and specifications for compliance with laws, rules, and regulations;
- Performing physical inspections to verify compliance with laws, rules, and regulations;
- Assisting others in establishing and maintaining compliance with laws, rules, and regulations;
- Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, the general public, and others sufficient to exchange or convey information.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (positions in this class typically require):
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Project Management, or related field; 4-6 years of related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above. At least 5 years of experience in residential or commercial building construction management.
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS (positions in this class typically require):
- Valid Drivers License