The Council of Large Public Housing Authorities is a national non-profit organization that works to preserve and improve public and affordable housing through advocacy, research, policy analysis, and public education.
CLPHA's 70 public housing agency members represent virtually every major metropolitan area in the country. Collectively they manage over 40 percent of the nation's public housing program; administer about one-quarter the Housing Choice Voucher program; and operate a wide array of other housing programs including the innovative Moving to Work (MTW) demonstration as well as the Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD).
ABOUT THE POSITION
This is not an entry-level position. CLPHA seeks an experienced Research and Policy Analyst who will cover CLPHA’s portfolio of issues related to public housing, as well as other place-based policies and programs, such as the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit, the transition of public housing to Section 8 platforms including the RAD program, and also a cross-section of other public housing policy and programs. Candidates must be comfortable working in a small-staff environment that encourages the interplay of ideas, be highly team-oriented, and also have the ability to take initiative and work independently.
As CLPHA looks to the future of public housing, we are particularly interested in candidates who are forward-thinking and willing to engage with and help develop innovative new frameworks and ideas for providing affordable housing to the nation’s low-income and most vulnerable populations.
- Analyzing and researching housing legislation and HUD regulations, using HUD data and other sources to perform data analysis related to public housing
- Developing policy positions, analysis, and materials such as white papers, fact sheets, and testimony
- Developing strategic communications and advocating for CLPHA’s positions on housing policy issues before key stakeholders such as HUD, Congressional staff, other government policymakers, and other industry experts
- Leading member engagement activities on a regular basis, including calls, webinars, and working groups
Education & Experience:
A Master’s degree in a related field and 2-5 years of progressively responsible work experience. Preference for candidates with a background in housing policy analysis, administering assisted housing programs, or with a public housing agency.
- Knowledge of or interest in federal, state, and local housing and community development programs, especially affordable housing programs and/or the public housing program
- Knowledge of research, statistical, and analytical methods and processes as applied to policy and data analysis
- Strong written, oral, and strategic communications skills, ability to communicate complex policy issues for a variety of audiences
- Strong organizational skills, ability to independently manage simultaneous activities and projects
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, ability to communicate well and build relationships with CLPHA members
- Ability to build working relationships with other key industry partners, including HUD, Congressional staff, other government and professional organizations, and represent CLPHA at high-level meetings
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is December 14, 2018. No phone calls, please.