Travel Involved: 0-10%
Employment Status: Full-Time
The Market Analyst uses market research techniques to establish rental levels for assisted units in accordance with HUD and Houston Housing Authority guidelines. Reports to the Inspections Manager.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Defines market research approach by identifying objectives; selecting research methodologies.
• Conducts marketing research by collecting information from primary and secondary sources; using qualitative and quantitative research methodologies; interviewing company personnel; involves feasibility studies, evaluation research, resident research, concept evaluation and zero measurements.
• Provides historical market research information by establishing and maintaining market research data storage and retrieval systems.
• Accesses software utilized for rent assessment, contacts owners, leasing managers management company representatives.
• Recommends research techniques to business units by monitoring new developments in HUD requirements, attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications.
• Conducts trend analyses by following the approved rental rates for various market segments.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of Marketing Research, Reporting Research Results, Statistical Analysis, Market Segmentation, Objectivity, Deals with Uncertainty, Financial Skills, Analyzing Information, Results Driven, Documentation Skills, Decision Making.
• Knowledge of HUD policies, and other Federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations related to low income housing and Houston Housing Authority policies.
• Knowledge of general office practices and procedures, business English and basic mathematics.
• Knowledge of the function and scope of fair market rents, principles, practices and procedures.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of budget preparation and control.
• Skilled in research techniques.
• Skilled in oral and written communication.
• Skilled in the technical aspects of field of specialty.
• Ability to:
o develop and implement policies and procedures
o prepare clear, concise logical oral and written complex reports
o make prompt and accurate decisions
o deal tactfully and effectively with employees, representatives of other governmental bodies and the public
o work independently with little direction
o establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
o meet schedules and time lines
o research data and prepare reports
o communicate effectively both orally and in writing
o work confidentially with discretion
o present ideas and concepts persuasively
o interpret, apply and explain laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures
o analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
COMPLEXITY / SCOPE OF WORK
• The employee uses independent judgment on a daily basis to either interpret the guidelines listed above to choose the most appropriate course of action within established options and parameters.
• The complexity of the daily job is enhanced, as the employee must be able to quickly change from one to another set of regulations.
• The employee’s work affects the quality of life and the basic needs of the applicants, the participants and their families.
• The work affects landlords, Houston Housing Authority, other service agencies, and the stability of some neighborhoods.
• The employee’s efforts affect the agency’s ability to earn funds and to obtain additional funding.
• The employee performs duties by following the HUD Code of Federal Regulations, HUD handbooks, HUD transmittals, the Houston Housing Authority Administrative Plan, the Houston Housing Authority Housing Choice Voucher Program Guide to Operations, and other instructional memos.
• Historical practices and verbal instructions from supervisors are also available.
• The employee has no supervisory responsibilities.
• Under general supervision coordinates activities through the Assistant Team Leader or Manager, assists in the development and implementation of assigned special programs by establishing procedures, developing supporting documentation, monitoring program for compliance to local, state and federal regulations; monitoring program schedules and deadlines; provides liaison between other departments, outside agencies, residents, etc.; prepares various reports and correspondence.
• The employee has continual contact with other employees, program participants, and landlords. Most contacts are structured in nature and the employee is expected to use normal tact and professional courtesy.
• Occasionally a contact may be uncooperative or antagonistic, and the employee would be expected to use above-average tact and courtesy. Failure to respond courteously could adversely affect the public’s opinion of the program and the Houston Housing Authority.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Work is principally sedentary, but may involve some physical exertion, such as kneeling or crouching to obtain files, and eyestrain from working with computers and other office equipment. Additionally there is some degree of stress resulting from contact with applicants, participants, landlords, the public and other employees.
• Work involves the normal risks and discomforts associated with an office environment, but are usually in an area that is adequately cooled, heated, lighted and ventilated.
• Any combination equivalent to a bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience in a related field and three (3) years of progressively responsible professional experience.
• Valid Texas driver’s license or obtain such within the first thirty (30) days of employment.
• Eligibility for coverage under Houston Housing Authority fleet auto insurance.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
External Job Board Link URL: https://www.hrapply.com/hha/AppJobView.jsp?link=786&page=AppJobList.jsp&op=reset