Salary: $27.56 to $33.99 per hour
Grade level: 10 (A)
Department/Location: Policy and External Affairs, Minneapolis Public Housing Authority/ 1001 Washington Ave N, Minneapolis, MN
Apply online here:
General Statement of Duties/Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Director of Policy & External Affairs (PE&A), creates written and multimedia communications materials about MPHA programs for external and internal audiences including public housing residents, housing voucher participants, employees, and the public. Supports MPHA’s overall external relations strategy and brand by researching, developing, and delivering messaging that is clear, consistent, and compassionate. Creates and supports new opportunities for MPHA to showcase its programs and messaging to the community. Supports the Director of Policy & External Affairs and collaborates with departments across the agency on tasks related to communications and community engagement.
Examples of Work (Illustrative Only):
The listed examples may not include all duties performed by all positions in this class:
1. Designs, writes, and produces articles, flyers, and other printed materials for internal and external use. Coordinates production with external printers, designers, and other third-party suppliers, as needed.
2. Designs and produces slide shows, videos, and other media for the Director and other senior staff, as needed.
3. Writes and posts regular updates to MPHA’s social media accounts and web sites. Maintains knowledge of online distribution technology and applications.
4. Makes necessary updates to information available on MPHA’s internal and external websites. Monitors and ensures content is accurate, regularly refreshed, and functions properly.
5. Manages MPHA’s audio-visual production, including photography, graphics, video editing, sound systems, and live streams.
6. Attends events and networks with residents, resident leadership groups, and MPHA program participants to discover positive stories that MPHA can document and share. Gathers and produces these stories.
7. Identifies opportunities and pitches media outlets on MPHA-related stories and interview opportunities for the Director and other senior staff to discuss MPHA’s work.
8. Develops and maintains a standard graphics and photo library, including templates and other branding guidance for the agency.
9. Collaborates closely with senior staff, other departments, and the PE&A team in executing large-scale events and external meetings. Manages audiovisual equipment when needed, including set-up and engineering.
10. Assists the Director of Policy & External Affairs with managing media requests, drafting press releases, coordinating press conferences, and other aspects of media relations.
11. Serves as a backup spokesperson for MPHA when the Director is unavailable, in coordination with other senior staff as appropriate.
12. Works with vendors to deliver translations of key MPHA documents.
13. Coordinates with other departments to update MPHA fact-sheets with portfolio and financial data, and maintains a quick-reference of updated local housing market and other data to support MPHA’s messaging.
14. Performs other tasks, as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of work experience including media, journalism, graphic design and production, and/or marketing communications. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Must have valid Minnesota Driver's license and access to a vehicle for use during working hours.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Excellent written and verbal communications skills (writing sample will be required).
2. Demonstrated skills in graphic design, layout, and print production tools.
3. Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite programs.
4. Strong skills in photography.
5. Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously and meeting deadlines.
6. Ability to plan and manage large campaigns and events.
7. Technical proficiency with web and social media platforms.
8. Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish rapport with individuals of various socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds.
9. Ability to manage vendors and contracts.
Experience with communications for and about diverse populations. Experience with website design and social media. Advanced photography, graphic design, or video production skills. Experience in event planning. Knowledge of federal subsidized housing programs and regulations. Master’s degree preferred.
70% office, 30% driving and attending meetings and events. Some evening meetings.
Position involves sitting, standing and movement, and lifting up to 25 pounds of camera and PA equipment.