The Council of Large Public Housing Authorities is a national non-profit organization that works to preserve and improve public and affordable housing through advocacy, research, policy analysis, and public education.
CLPHA's 70 public housing agency members represent virtually every major metropolitan area in the country. Collectively they manage over 40 percent of the nation's public housing program; administer about one-quarter the Housing Choice Voucher program; and operate a wide array of other housing programs including the innovative Moving-to-Work (MTW) demonstration as well as the Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD). In recent years, CLPHA’s scope of work has expanded to include our cross-sector initiative Housing Is. The Housing Is Initiative establishes, broadens, and deepens efforts to align affordable housing, education, and health systems to produce positive, long-term results for low-income people.ABOUT THE POSITION
The Council of Large Public Housing Authorities (CLPHA) seeks a strong public affairs and organizational communications strategist to elevate CLPHA’s voice and profile in the public policy space. The Communications Director will assist CLPHA’s efforts to preserve and improve public and affordable housing through advocacy, research, policy analysis, and public education. The Communications Director will lead efforts to develop and execute a communications plan, produce excellent written communications materials, develop strategies and innovative ways to reach new audiences and core stakeholders, and be a leader internally and across the membership of the nation’s largest public housing authorities.
As CLPHA looks to the future of public housing as well as expands our cross-sector alignment efforts through the Housing Is Initiative, we are particularly interested in candidates who are forward-thinking and willing to engage with and help develop innovative new frameworks and ideas for providing affordable housing to the nation’s low-income and most vulnerable populations.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C.
Education & Experience:
· Bachelor’s Degree and 5-7 years of experience in strategic communications, media relations, journalism, or related field strongly preferred.
· Experience developing and driving communications strategy and identifying opportunities to reach new and core audiences.
· Experience in creating a digital strategy and developing digital content across platforms.
· Experience in grant writing a plus.
Knowledge & Skills
· Excellent written communications skills, including deep experience developing compelling press materials, pitches, and talking points, as well as internal memos and newsletters.
· Strong news sense and knowledge of the media, experience managing media engagement for both rapid response and long-lead stories, and ability to develop relationships with key reporters.
· Ability to translate and disseminate complex policy positions to key stakeholder audiences – including policymakers, practitioners, media, and the public.
· Ability to independently manage multiple assignments at once, work quickly and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
· Comfortable working in a small-staff environment that encourages the interplay of ideas.
· Be highly team-oriented, and also have the ability to take initiative and work independently.
· Knowledge of or experience/interest in federal, state, and/or local housing & community development programs, poverty programs, or other programs aimed at low-income populations a plus.
· Lead the development and implementation of a communications strategy for the organization that reinforces our mission, vision, and values.
· Directly execute and/or oversee the development of compelling content such as website information, articles, newsletters, emails, presentations, videos, blog posts, and social media.
· Establish and manage workflow for creating, editing, publishing, and re-purposing content developed internally.
· Edit and proof materials as required, ensure consistency of message, look, and feel of all communications.
· Participate in campaign and advocacy planning collaboratively with team members, including policy and Housing Is staff and Federal Policy Director
· Stay up-to-date on the best content marketing and communications trends to ensure CLPHA is seen as a leader in the public housing policy space.
Membership Engagement & Support
· Serve as a primary liaison to communications teams at CLPHA’s 70-member public housing authorities.
· Work with member organizations’ staff to identify and collaborate on opportunities to promote their work at the community and national level.
· Establish and manage workflow for creating, editing, publishing, and re-purposing content developed by member organizations.
Media and External Relations
· Cultivate relationships with external stakeholders and key members of the media.
· Serve as key point of contact in pitching and disseminating internal and member content, stories, and policy positions.
· Work with internal staff to design and implement outreach strategies around core issues, focused on media, external stakeholders, and policymakers.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.